Fisher KX-100 or 400 and Wharfedale 10.1?

KX-100 or 400 with Wharfedale 10.1s

• Fisher KX-100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NaiveMelody

Hello, I was thinking about making the leap into Tube Amplifiers and I have the option of purchasing a KX-100 or 400 for $600.00. My current speakers are Wharfedale 10.1 with an Onkyo 9050 and I'd prefer not to replace the speakers right now. Would either one of those amplifiers be a decent match for my Wharfedales? I don't have a real use for the tuner so are there any benefits to picking the 400 over the KX-100? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. This is my first post so thank you in advance for your help!

There is a lot to consider with the Fishers. Are they restored? Working original? At $600 they ought to be restored - not sure I've seen a KX100 sell for as much as $600. I'll stop here as this is headed in the dollars and cents direction (there''s a forum for that). There are early and late 400's, with the early ones making more power. From a power perspective, an early 400 and a KX100 are pretty close everything else being equal.

I can't help with the speaker question - I've never had any Wharfdales.

Sensitivity 86 dB for your speakers. I guess it'll be ok at normal listening levels with the 400 (7868 so around 25-30w/ch) but it won't shake the walls and maybe distort at higher levels...

Thanks for the quick replies. The owner says that they have both been restored. Is there something specific that I should be looking for to ensure that the proper work has been done. Like I said this is all really new to me and I don't have much experience with the tube life. Thanks again for your help!

The 400 has bigger output transformers....and it uses a better implemented fixed bias scheme. The KX-100 uses that weird cathode bias scheme where the 12AX7 heaters are powered off the 7868 cathodes and that eats up some of your available power.

Back
Top Bottom