Fisher KX-200 Innards (can somebody tell me what was done)

escorial

Just wan this and was wondering what was done to this am/ Please look at the pix and tell me? Looks like orange caps?

Attachments

• fishbay12.jpg
    fishbay12.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 90
Sorry so what do they do? I was looking at pix of a stock KX200 and saw no caps in that area?

Here is a pix I grabbed off the web and I believe its a stick configuration see attached pix.

Any sites available with walk thoughs / pix on how to mod or update this model?

The seller did state that the unit was gone through at a shop and given a clean bill of health

Attachments

• off the web stock.jpg
    off the web stock.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 57
They're in that picture, 4 small silver cylinders about halfway up the right side of the image. "Orange Drops" tend to be on the larger side which is why they really stand out compared to the original caps.

Coupling caps prevent the DC voltage from a previous amplification stage from being passed to the input of the next stage. If they start to fail ("leak" voltage) the power dissipation of the downstream tube goes up, essentially wasting a bunch of power amplifying nothing. I'm guessing those are the output tube coupling caps which are extra important because if they go bad it can take out tubes and output transformers.

Everything else looks original. Replacing coupling caps is a good start but I would definitely budget for some additional recapping in the near future, if the coupling caps were getting leaky I suspect there are a bunch of other caps that aren't far behind!

Last edited:
It looks like the signal caps are really generic and about as cheap as you would want. The electrolytics are reasonable if he is selling you the already cut cans. However if you have to cut the electrolytic cans in your unit that is a lot of messy work. I think you might be able to buy the can caps at AES for a good price that would save you a lot of work trying to restuff the original cans.

Antique Electronic Supply. tubesandmore.com I think.

Hayseed Hamfest can custom-make exact value cans for you if needed. Not unreasonably priced either.

Another consideration is the JJ brand can caps, available in different values and in 4 way and 2 way. You need to use a clamp with it or epoxy glue it to the chassis. The solder lugs will usually fit through the existing chassis hole left by the original can cap. I don't like the fact that the original can caps ground to the chassis in various places creating multiple grounds. I always put in a ground bus or star ground to improve the path to ground of all the components. This can remove some low level noise in some units where the connection to ground has built up a little resistance from corrosion on the metal surface.

Back
Top Bottom