Fisher KX90.

macaltec

Metal Master
20160801_221337.jpg 20160801_220042.jpg
I've had this for a little while now. Analog Addict helped me get the PS section working properly a month or so ago and tested all of the tubes. Got a couple of nice Telefunken's in V1 and V2 and the original Fisher branded 7189 Mullards in the outputs. It works great, it is quiet and sounds very good on my Cornwall IIs. It still has the original German foil coupling caps installed. Is there any reason to leave them in or should I just go ahead and replace them? Pics are before updating the PS.

Last edited:
I've never seen one fail -- and many prefer their sound. Unless there is an indication that one is electrically leaking, I'd consider leaving them in place, unless you need the peace of mind from replacing them.......

Dave

I have heard rumors to that effect but wanted to see what the general consensus was from those more in the know than myself. I suppose I could always put them back in if I was to try new ones. I assume the other caps of the same variety found elsewhere in this amp are under the same consideration??

I think Dave is the 800 lb gorilla of general consensus in the Fisher forum, so his comment means a lot.

I've been leaving the Ero Fols in place when I work on mine over the last year or so, and have not had a problem with them. I tested a bunch (50??) I have from rebuilds over the years and all tested good.

Nice unit BTW - I have a close relative, the X 100 3 that I like a lot. It sounds great and doesn't seen to know it's not a "big" Fisher.

I agree with Dave in his opinion. If they are NOT electrically leaking, leave them in.

Unless your OCD is going into overdrive to replace them, or you just have to try out those $50.00 organic olive oil in papyrus paper caps that have that special Oh-Solo-ME-O sound to them, and smell like an Italian Kitchen, leave them in.

I did hear recently of a Carolina Co, that is coming out with a new boutique cap made either from rancid Bear grease and wax paper, or Deer entrails wrapped in aluminium foil, corroded battery cables for leads,encased in used toilet paper rolls and sealed in uncured JBWELD for that Gomer Pyle sound. $75.ea for Carolina residents, $300.ea for non residents. :D:D

SURPRISE.........SURPRISE................SURPRISE!!!! :jump:

Larry, did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid? :crazy: I thought we did a better job of keeping that info a secret.

No OCD here on this project. Not into the designer caps either.

Thanks guys.

Yep. Navy Issue paint too. Really tough stuff to chew. But it tasted SO GOOD!!! LOL!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Having said that, look for any gold or beige colored axial electrolytic's with the name "FRAKO" on them. They have white rubber seals on both ends and have a cute tendency to get electrically leaky and blow the gaskets, then puke their guts. Nichicon TVX series will fit in place of the Frako's and sound a lot better.

I've also seen red and blue Frako caps. Those suck too.

Those EroFOL are polystyrene I believe. They seem to survive fine if you keep away from them with a soldering iron. Heat is not their friend.

Back
Top Bottom