Fisher MPX-100's Gold fever?

Bryantenn

Media migration man
What the heck is the deal with MPX adapters? I've been watching on ePay for several years to try and score an MPX-100 for my Fisher 500-S, but it seems they have become a target for vintage speculation, I guess. The last two that I was watching went for nearly $300!!!! each. What the ??? I just don't get it.

Are there that many mono FM receiver owners out there clamoring to get a stereo decoder? Heck, even the EICO and Heathkit converters are commanding $$$ hundreds. I wish there was a modern decoder that I could build. I dont HAVE to have a Fisher, for pete's sake!
:dammit:
Rant over.

Bryan

I googled this a while back and found someone who sold a modern solid state circutit board kit, and you had to provide your own power supply, enclosure, etc to finish it out. Look around to see if you can find that and let me know if you don't. I may have saved it as a favorite on the other PC. I intend to look into this further at some point but it's low on the list.

Plus on Triode Electronics website there is a schematic for a SS MPX adapter but no text or parts list so you would need to figure out how to lay it out and build it.

Last edited:
Well, yes, there are that many quality mono FM receivers out there. For many years FM radio was one of the better ways to get quality music in your home. Many of the later mono receivers had the capability to take an outboard MPX adapter. The majority of these tuners had excellent circuitry, and will give terrific stereo sound with an adapter.

Actually, the prices haven't really jumped all that much, I'm guessing you're just noticing now because you're in the market. Clean, working, cosmetically excellent MPX-100's were selling for near $200 five years ago, so "almost $300" really isn't a huge jump over a five year period.

Supply and demand. :dunno:

I think "supply and demand" sums it up perfectly: there just aren't that many dedicated MPX adapters out there, making them relatively hard to find. It's a lot easier to find the mono radio that can take the adapter, than the adapter itself, so it's a situation that is bound to drive up the price of the adapters, as long as anyone wants to listen to old FM gear.

I've actually been surprised at the low prices of the last few MPX-100s I've watched on eBay. They have been selling close to $300 in good shape, the past few I've seen had trouble making $150. This while other Fisher stuff has been flying high.

I've also watch many of the MPX-100 auctions over the last three years. I would like to have one but have a hard time with the thought that the MPX-100 would cost more than I paid for my unrestored but working TA-600. The TA is now restored and is playing as I type. I actually like the sound of the mono fm more than stereo at times.

Back
Top Bottom