Swapped rings rt to left: Now no separation and contamination in both

Attachments

• DSCN0139.JPG
    DSCN0139.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN0140.JPG
    DSCN0140.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
Now I have reversed separation and the most contamination follows the left ch: " the problem stays with the channel" ( if we ignore the minor contamination on right ch

OK. So when you reverse the signals applied to C218 and C220, the left channel signal -- which now appears at the output originating from pin 1 of V102 -- still contains the heavy 38 kHz modulation?

sorry, Nope. The left mpx output remains heavily contaminated, not the right output, but the gen output has to switch to to right to obtain the contaminated left signal, and to left to obtain a clean sine on left output.

Check the caps in the trap and de-emphasis network. Ceramics always tend to measure low in my experience. I've also seen the chokes ave shorted turns. Best to measure them with an impedance bridge which will be a much more accurate test that using simple DC resistance. Or, another approach is to simply swap the chokes between channels as well. That will tell you too.......

Hi, Im back;: Rebuilt left network, super clean sine in both!! Chokes ok 20mH. Cant pin point fault. But now I am stuck with No separation. rechecked work seems ok.
At this time , and to relieve frustration, would be great to hear Dave expand on the inner workings of the trap and de-emphasis network Thanks

Hi Dave: Puzzle: Pic 1 is 300 gen composite direct output, pilot suppressed ( perfect)

pic 2 is same output but thru input network. ( same with two input networks).

pic 3 signal at splitter.

WHY? your response will be greatly appreciated. Martin

Attachments

• DSCN0143.JPG
    DSCN0143.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0144.JPG
    DSCN0144.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0145.JPG
    DSCN0145.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 1
pic 1 Rt demodulator ring output( nice)

pic 2 left demodulator output ( bad)

Left ring bad AGAIN??

Attachments

• DSCN0146.JPG
    DSCN0146.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0147.JPG
    DSCN0147.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
pic 1& 2 rt & lft ring output in good working unit.
Will replace left ring with matching 1N459A to the rt one. martin

Attachments

• DSCN0148.JPG
    DSCN0148.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0149.JPG
    DSCN0149.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1
I'm not sure what you mean by the term splitter, although various signals are in fact split out at different points in the circuit. The input network (180pF, 12K) alters the phase of the signal coming from the 300 generator so as to mimic the phase of the signal as ultimately received by the adapter from the ratio detector when installed in a Fisher tuner or receiver using the Wide Band IF circuitry.

The amount of times you've replaced the left ring is a complete mystery!

Thank you for your interest. "Splitter" was your own word ealier in this thread back in 2013, indicating the neg terminal of the coupling electrolytic.
Now I remembered the effect of the input network we discussed earlier thanks.
I ordered another set of Fairchild In 4598 to match the right one. Since they are sold in sets of four, I don't think I need to match them with 1meg resistors.
This will be the fourth left ring,Mpx from hell!!
Question: the fisher diodes measure in mi tester o.5 range, while the 4598s range 0.25 significant?

Back
Top Bottom