Fisher only Solid State Pics

Just saw this thread. Until not long ago I had a 600T receiver. It was their first ss receiver. Actually, it is a hybrid that uses the fm front end from the 500c tuner along with all else in the tuner being ss. The tuner is receiver coupled to a ss amp.

The receiver combined the first ss tuner, again a hybrid tube and ss, the TFM300 along with the TX300 amp. I also had a set of these. They all needed work and I did nlt want to pop the germanium transistors so, I had little play rime on them but, they showed they could easily strut with the best. These were amazingly built. Seemed like no expense spared. Inside they were every bit as good and even better than the McIntosh from that period. The chassis was old world design, a carry over from tube days. The faceplate and backplate were not the cheap plated thin stuff but cast and tapped for screws. The gold trim like the Sherwoods was real gold plate unlike most who used goldtone. While I liked the looks of the tube Sherwood over the tube Fisher it was a far different outcome comparing these to the 1st gen Sherwood ss amp and tuner, the S3300 and S9500c. I use these as my main units currently. I did have a chance to compare the Fishers and Sherwood. They could have overlapped on the dealers' shelves as the Sherwood came out just about the Fishers were being withdrawn.

As for sound, the Sherwood had been gone through and are healthy. The Fishers were in need of lots of tlc. And we compared germanium to ss designs. The Fishers did well enough that after being gone through by a competent tech, they might be as good or even better. And this is coming from a confirmed Sherwood guy whose little amp and tuner moved big stuff like McIntosh out of the house.

I shelved the three Fishers before getting sick but after decided I never would get them done so sold the receiver to a guy who was just getting into vintage and knew his way under the hood of a 600T. He had just finished one for a customer and was looking flr another for himself; he was that impressed. The tuner and amp went to the gent who bought the McIntosh system from me.

The TX-300, TFM-300 and 600-T were probably the most complex transistorized consumer devices at that time. They were largely experimental which would lead to the "no expense spared" to build them well.

They do sound good but the amplifier designs are thoroughly obsolete. However, the build quality is almost unmatched and this series is the only one having controls and switches mounted on the front panel rather than on circuit boards as was done later. That simplifies redesign with new boards. Physical layout is also excellent.

There are better tuners but given the poor technical quality and even poorer program quality today, the tuner is completely adequate. My Harman Kardon Citation 23 tuner will only pick up 6 additional stations and that is with a High-Q mode that allows for zeroing in on adjacent channel stations. The 600-T will receive 61 stations (well enough to identify them) with 35 at full limiting. We are 40 miles outside Chicago, using an omnidirectional homemade attic antenna, so most of these stations are considered distant or near fringe.

I had a TX-500, the receiver in the first post, as my main receiver for almost a decade. It performed flawlessly and sounded really amazing. It took a Nakamichi TA-4A to unseat it and it really didn't sound any better just had more power. But the Fisher was started to get a little tired so I sold it for what I thought was a nice chunk of change but eventually missed it. However now, they are going for over double what I sold mine for. And I do miss it. So still looking for another.

Here's my 1st 500-TX right after i got it. It was 100% functional when I got it. It's been recapped and tuned up. I have a 2nd rebuilt 500-TX as a spare. And here's the rest of the STABLE. the 700-T, 550-T, 400-T, 250-TX, and 160-T.

500-TX
500tx.jpg

550-T
100_2280.jpg

250-TX
attachment.php

400-T
attachment.php

700-T
attachment.php

160-T The 160-T is one of two receivers/table radio's that are NOT conventionally tuned. All tuning is by varactor presets. This one runs 24/7 next to my bed.
attachment.php

Lovely Larry. Every single piece. Not everybody agrees with me but I'm a big fan of the US made SS Fisher gear. Actually the Emerson vintage stuff isn't too bad either but the US stuff, especially the last of it, like the TX-500, is something special.

Seeing that the changeover a few months ago hasn't found a lot of pics, ...............................

The 160-T
160-T_2.JPG
The 250-TX
100_4843.JPG

The 400-T
100_4426.JPG

The 500-TX
100_1495.JPG

The 550-T
100_2781.JPG

The 700-T
700-T.JPG

All are working except the 400-T which is a parts unit now. Youngest son has the 160-T and my FISHER (BSR) Turntable right now. Paired up with a set of Minimus 25's in a small apartment. It does very well and sounds bigger than it is.

Lets continue this thread with some new owners and gear.

Larry

I have a TX 300 integrated amp and a R200B tuner. The early Fisher solid state items are very nice

Here's a few of mine.

440-T - I rebuilt this one two years ago. Recently pulled it off the shelf and tried it out, still doing fine.

440-T_19.jpg~original

4400 - I also rebuilt this one two years ago, and was my favorite until the multiplex decoder quit working. It's been on the shelf since then (about a year ago). Since this picture was taken two years ago, I have replaced the missing knob cap.

Image00003-2.jpg~original

and my 700-T which is our "nightly driver" as it is used for TV sound in our living room. Wharfedale W60 speakers on either side of an early 1960s Radio Shack component cabinet.

700-T_15.jpg~original

my 20 bucker score because it had a toasted fuse on one channel! Sure sounds good for a little rascal...

I just got a 500-T from Ruffleruf that I have to go thru. All other's work except for the 400-T which is a parts unit. So now my FISHER SS collection consist's of
160-T
250-T
500-T
550-T
700-T
500-TX
400-T(parts unit).
I need to get a 200-T or 220-T to complete the series that the 500,550, & 700 fit into.

Larry, where does the 210-T fit in the chain? Was it a good performer?

I have a 210-T and 400-T. I like the funky Tune-O-Matic feature on the 400-T.

I never stop at Thrifts anymore but did recently to look for records and found a Fisher 60 for $14.99. Bought it, cleaned it up and the Pickering V-15 / AT -2 cartridge is in good shape. Sounds nice with KLH 17s. Presents very well cosmetically, especially after polishing the dust cover and some Howard's Feed N Wax. Going to pass it along to an older relative who wants an all-in-one. Not great pictures, but here it is:

IMG_0209.JPG IMG_0217.JPG IMG_0213.JPG IMG_0220.JPG

Last edited:
The 210 one of the lower end models that came out in the late 60's. About 20-25WPC RMS. They can sound right good with efficient speakers (>92db).

Not too many people like all in ones. But I'm not one of them. They have their place in audio, and are usually dismissed as on a par with lloyds and or Soundesign . Fisher saw a niche market and took advantage of it. They did ok in it too for a few years.

Not too many people like all in ones. But I'm not one of them. They have their place in audio, and are usually dismissed as on a par with lloyds and or Soundesign . Fisher saw a niche market and took advantage of it. They did ok in it too for a few years.

Totally agree, Larry, they have their place.

The person this I hope will accept this Fisher uses a boom box from the late 80s.

Seeing pictures of a 700-T makes me miss the one I had. The cab is with one AKer, the chassis with another who I hope can find someone with the skills to take care of it.

Tinkerbelle had a Fisher 50(at least I think it was a 50) all in one for sale on bartertown a while ago. The TT had been removed along with the plinth, and a metal screen plate installed. From what I understand she still has the TT. Wonder if she still has the all in one, and still has the plinth piece for the TT. I've got 2 FISHER branded BSR's (one off a '69 Royal Electra and the other a 220-xa stand alone). I'm looking for something down the road for my grandson (5 in January) that he can use. Grand-Daughter has a KLH-20. Will gets goofy about my '63 Executive every-time he comes over to visit. He can load and operate the Type "A"MKII TT and the 800c under supervision, but I eventually want to get him his own starter unit. And these are just about perfect for the kids. Easy for Pop to work on, and I have spare parts for most of them (or at least know where the skeletons are hidden!).

i would get banned for spamming if i posted my my SS fisher gear :p, so ill just post my 3 favs.

CA-875, looks like the generic 87x series from the late 80's but this model can bumb out 150WPC at 0.05% THD. Sleeper!
2SC3281/2SA1302 outputs.
IMG_0165[1].JPG

CA-800/880 big and heavy from the early 80's. 80WPC at 0.09% THD
STK0080 Outputs
IMG_0001[1].JPG

CA-35. the lower end of Fisher's offerings around 83. 20WPC at 0.9% THD
STK2025 Output, STK2029 is later models which is rated 25WPC at 0.9 % THD
Both of those STK chips are rated for 0.02% THD but due to the circuit design on this low end model the final THD isnt the greatest.
IMG_0251[1].JPG

Back
Top Bottom