1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Fisher Roll Call: Whatcha' Got ?

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by rl1856, Jul 1, 2015.

1. drdetroit55

drdetroit55 New Member

I had a 500C about 40 years ago. My father in law gave it to me, but when we moved he talked me into leaving it in a closet. I think he was afraid he might have to lift it again. That 500C replaced a 450T I bought when I was still in high school in 1972. I was driving Electro-Voice SP15TRXII 15" coaxial with a mocified T-350 tweeter mounted coaxially in a 15" woofer with a massive motor structure, die cast basket, cloth surrounds. Built the cabinets from EV plans. I now have an early X202 integrated amp (7189 outputs) and a 400 receiver as a daily driver. I drive Vandersteen 2ce Signatatures with no problems at all. Soundstage and imaging are stunning. Low end authority is surprising. Vandersteens don't play exceptionally loud but they play as loud as I would ever want to listen, and louder than my wife would.

RS Steve likes this.
  2. quaddriver

quaddriver 120 What's per channel Subscriber

cambot, gypsy, tom servo, crooooooooow

jdsalinger and drdetroit55 like this.
  3. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

Anything you consider a nominal listening level is ALWAYS too loud for a wife. Even with Head-phones on!

4. Trojan4Life

Trojan4Life Active Member

"The BEST part of the CORPS, is the CORPMAN!"

The Men's Department of the Navy- The United States Marine Corps!

5. tonak1

tonak1 New Member

500C in pretty much mint condition, it was the first stereo my family bought in the 60's. I was embarrassed to have that tube amp in college when everyone else had solid state receivers which probably hit the junk pile after a few years. My 500C still delivers awesome sound!!

6. Tim D

Tim D AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've got two pairs of XP-7B's (one nearly mint, but needing a recap and one recapped, but needing a lot of cabinet work), a 500B receiver that needs a total rebuild, a KX-100 amp that needs a total rebuild and a KM-60 tuner that needs a total rebuild. Working on the KX-100 right now.

7. DOBIEGUY

DOBIEGUY AK Subscriber Subscriber

This past weekend went out looking for a period loudspeaker for my mono Scott system. Found a good looker sitting atop what looked like an old TV cabinet with doors. Shop owner says it plays good with the 'stuff' in the cabinet.
    He moves a pile of other 'stuff' and inside I find the goods. A slide out Rek-O-Kut, Fisher Ninety tuner and a Fisher Model 90C Master Audio Control. I'm thinking there has to be more for the speaker to play. Take off the back and there it is-A Fisher Model 100 amp. The three Fisher pieces look like they were made yesterday. All tubes marked Fisher except one Amperex in the tuner and Mullard EL-37s in the amp.

And I know this post is worthless without pictures so here they are. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Oh,and about the Electro-Voice Aristocrat lll, a story for another post.

8. Sam08861

Sam08861 Active Member

Nice haul! Just about a complete turnkey system after a bit of rehab perhaps.

9. larryderouin

I'm turning GREEN! That's about as 1958 MONO TOTL as you can get! Is the 100 amp a 100 or a 100az? Outwardly there should be a switch or pot for speaker damping on the AZ.

10. DOBIEGUY

DOBIEGUY AK Subscriber Subscriber

Larry
    Here is a shot with the cage off. The printing on the side below the transformers reads

Model 100 serial no. 1139xxx (smudged)
    And a gut shot of the 90c
    The sound quality of the tuner is outstanding.
    Both cords tied as new! image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Jimmy

11. larryderouin

IT's a 100. That gut shot of the 90-C is just fantastic. 1st thing I'd bypass or get rid of is that selenium rectumfrier. 1kv 3a diode will dp the trick with headroom to spare. (1n5408).

12. mrphilco

mrphilco AK Subscriber Subscriber

I thought I had posted in this thread, just found that I had not.

So -

Solid State: 200-T, 202 Futura, 432, 440-T, 450-T, 500-T, 600-T, 700-T, 4400

Tubes: TA-600, 400, and my latest acquisition...a birthday present to myself...

[​IMG]

Sold as working, did not upon arrival. Long story short...the 500-B has a dummy plug in back. Or, it is supposed to. It was missing on mine. Once I discovered its necessity, I went to my junk parts bin and found a suitable nine-pin plug, with a Bakelite cover. I made the necessary jumper wire connections and voila, the 500-B came back to life.

I had read about the sound of the 500 and 800 series Fishers, but had never experienced it until now. Yes, I get it now. Solid state is OK but the tube Fishers are in a different class.

I'm in the midst of restoring my TA-600. I'll probably restore my 400 next, and then go through the 500-B and, at the very least, replace its electrolytics and rectifier.

13. larryderouin

Damn Ron, and I thought I had a lot of S.S. FISHER's.
    S.S.---160-T, 250-T, 400-T(parts unit), 550-T, 700-T, 500-TX with optional Remote.
    Tube--- Early 400, late 400, 800-C, TA-600
    Consoles....51 Coronet(R-3), 58 Contemporary(R-20), 1959 510/610(both chassis)(*), 59 560 companion(30-A), 63 Executive (800-C), 64 Custom ElectraVII(590-T,481-A), 65 Custom ElectraVIII(49-T,49-A Hybrid), 65 Futura (59-T,59-A)
    (*)The 610 Chassis modified to 1960 Custom Electra III Model 440 (radio) chassis std. to accept mpx.

14. rufleruf

rufleruf AK Subscriber Subscriber

I had a heckuva Fisher week. Local X100B, X202B, FM100B, FM202R and a KX200 without any power transformers. Last week I got a 400. There's an 800C a couple blocks from me in my crosshairs at the moment.

15. Sam Cogley

Sam Cogley Last of the Time Lords Subscriber

AFAIK, there was no 100AZ. Fisher's numbering got weird with those monoblocks. There were the non-Z-matic 50A and 70A, then the 50AZ and 70AZ came along. The 80AZ was next, but I don't think they made a non-Z 80, and then the 100, which had Z-matic but didn't have the Z numbering. I think there was also a 55, but I have no idea how it was numbered.

16. nasadowsk

nasadowsk Biker

X-202. Not being used at this time, but being saved. Good condition.
    SA-100. Stuck between a Sansui CA-2000 and a pair of Klipsch RP-260Fs. Source right now is a DACmagic 100 and an iMac feeding that @ 192K.
    Had: 100T. Gave it to a coworker who's got some homebrew tube amp and vintage JBL speakers. I never used it for anything....

17. Rob Thomas

Rob Thomas AK Subscriber Subscriber

Beautiful little collection. I gasped out loud when I saw that first picture of the X-202. Stunning!

lithography likes this.