Fisher Roll Call: Whatcha' Got ?

Since added a SA100, 500B and 500C receivers, and just made a deal on a nice FM1000.

Added a 100-T preamp/tuner with MPX65 installed. MF-300 tuner with RK-20. X-1000 to go with the FM-1000. Here's photos of the X-1000 and FM-1000 after a fresh rebuild. FM-1000 is the later version with the stereo filter.

X-1000.jpg

FM-1000.jpg

Thank you Al. One burned out meter light bulb in the FM-1000 that I need to replace with a grain of wheat bulb. Besides that, everything is rebuilt and working well. I have the original raised top vent on the X-1000 cabinet which is usually missing.

Anyone else notice the apparently inordinate amount of higher end FISHER gear on the West Coast. From what I've seen, Most of the gear from the West coast on e-prey lately has been higher ended later Tube gear or Solid State, while the East coast has more of the older gear.

There is a lot of tube Fisher gear out here in Southern California Larry. Almost every Fisher I own has been bought within an hours drive, mostly North from me in the LA area or South in San Diego. I know there is quite a bit that show up in the San Francisco area too.

Last edited:
Larry, I've noticed the same as you regarding gear from the West Coast. Although it should be mentioned that my 50AZ and 50C were purchased in upstate NY before I moved back to CA.

Fisher 50AZ
small 50az.jpg

Fisher 50C
small 50c.jpg

Fisher 90C
small 90c.jpg

Fisher 500C
small 500c.jpg

A restored and improved late model Fisher 400. Also, a late model Fisher KX100. The KX100 works great but just needs the resto/improvement treatment to be a daily driver. I made both cabinets as well. The 400 is a african mahogany and the KX100 is solid birch. These are connected to a pair of Heresy I s.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 24
I just (last night) picked up a Costum Electra Console E 492. Its a 1967 solid state unit in pretty good condition? I couldn't pass it up for the price: free!not sure what I want to do with it.
Also have a FM 100 B waiting to be restored and a 440a console pull that I have been " tweeting".

Kasanay; Took the liberty of copying the pic from the other thread to here. It looks like the cabinet is a '66 C.E. (E-491-EA) ith the Guts from a '67 in it. Somewhat unusual, but it wasn't uncommon for FISHER to mix years due to either too many of the older amp/tuner, or cabinets, or not enough of one or the other.
Like I said on the other post there should be a heavy paper info and chassis layout sheet stapled to the back. Can you take a pic of it with a close up of the Model # please.

66 CE cab - 67 Guts.jpg

After more checking catalogs, Carter and I both believe this is a '67 METROPOLITAN (M-492) EA. Apparently FISHER reused the EA cabinet from the '66 Custom Electra, made a mod to the top to accomodate the 21-R and it became a METROPOLITAN. So there you have it. The 21-R chassis is a console version of the 220-T. IT's a mixed Germanium and Silicon output unit so be very careful about volume levels.

Larry, You sure know your Fishers! All the info from one poor quality photo.
Can you take a pic of it with a close up of the Model # please
Here's the Chassis Layout Diagram that you asked for:
2016-01-29-18_web.jpg As you can see, Fisher refers to it as an E-492B. Looks like they may have added an "AT" suffix to the model number. It's all very interesting.
The guy that I got it from said it never worked. I'm not sure how long he owned it but he only used it as a stand for the TV.
I got it home, replaced the blown fuse and she came to life! )I did have it on a DBT). The next day, I thought I try the Dual - shore 'nough. it works, too!
One channel keeps dropping out, so I shut it down after a short time.
All-in-all, I think I got a pretty sweet deal!
Thanks, again for the history info and the word of warning.

I am a bit late to the party and I don't have much, a KX200, X202-B, and a 400, the two latter ones are projects to be restored, the KX200 is paired with a pair of Altec Iconic Flemenico's and an Empire 598 III, connected to my blue ray player with the center channel driving a sub so it does home theater duty as well.

Larry, You sure know your Fishers! All the info from one poor quality photo.

Here's the Chassis Layout Diagram that you asked for:
View attachment 681175 As you can see, Fisher refers to it as an E-492B. Looks like they may have added an "AT" suffix to the model number. It's all very interesting.
The guy that I got it from said it never worked. I'm not sure how long he owned it but he only used it as a stand for the TV.
I got it home, replaced the blown fuse and she came to life! )I did have it on a DBT). The next day, I thought I try the Dual - shore 'nough. it works, too!
One channel keeps dropping out, so I shut it down after a short time.
All-in-all, I think I got a pretty sweet deal!
Thanks, again for the history info and the word of warning.

Well This surely buttresses my theory. It IS a 1967 Custom Electra but in a '1966 cabinet(see the console whatcha got thread). The suffix was used to designate which cabinet was used. There is no "B" designation that I know of. And the AT suffix is unusual, unless it was used to something internally at Fisher. But we'll never know I guess. It could be a mid year change as FISHER was trying to get all of their line fully transistorized (with the expection of the 400-500c-800c, and a select few separates), where they had the 21-R's but no 1967 Custom Electra cabinets yet. It looks like The Metropolitan used the same cabinet as the '66 C.E. with the top and internal changes. It's fairly easy to change the length of the top lid, and do the internal bulkhead changes. So there you have it. An EARLY 1967 Custom Electra.

Last edited:
It gets even more complicated, (screwy,) folks. The "B" in the model number denotes a 1968 model. See the attached console price list for early 1968 - dated Aug. 1967. I think Larry is correct - based on the lid design - that this is a 1967 Metropolitan "American Traditional" cabinet. See illustration from the 1967 catalog below for confirmation. However, the model number clearly identifies it as a Custom Electra from the 1968 model year. Take a look at the brochure for the 1968 Custom Electra and see if the features on yours match those listed. It would also be interesting to get the production codes off your speakers or other components to see what week of which year they were produced.

This one is certainly a head scratcher.

1968 Fisher Console Price List
1967-8%20page%201.jpg

1967 Fisher Metropolitan "American Traditional" Cabinet
1967%20Fisher%20Metropolitan.jpg

1968 Fisher Custom Electra Brochure
1968%20Fisher%20Custom%20Electra%20E-492B.jpg

800b ,metal bone kit , hayseed hamfest caps
500c metal bone kit , re-stuffed filter caps
700T W.I.P. (work in progress)
80R as found with cab ,nice
80R as found (complete)
TX-300 rough parts maybe

It would also be interesting to get the production codes off your speakers or other components to see what week of which year they were produced.

This one is certainly a head scratcher.

I took a few more photos this weekend, but I don't think I got any with the production codes.

2016-01-30-14.15.18.jpg 2016-01-30-14.21.09.jpg 2016-01-30-14.13.59.jpg 2016-01-30-14.13.05.jpg 2016-01-30-14.13.50.jpg 2016-01-30-14.16.16.jpg 2016-01-30-16.02.jpg 2016-01-30-14.15.44.jpg 2016-01-30 14.12.47.jpg 2016-01-30 16.02.50.jpg

The codes off the speakers help date it.
1st pic. 137 716------------>>> Made by CTS 1967 16th week (April 67)
10th pic 270 708------------>>> Made by Quam-Nichols Co. 1967 8th week (Feb-Mar 67)

Your console was probably made sometime between Late June and August of 1967.

3 more pics if you could please. One of the faceplate of the receiver and the info on the back of the receiver chassis (Model and serial #). And finally the stecilled info on the wall in the full speaker area shot.

Last edited:
It's funny that the Metropolitan is listed in 1967 above the Custom Electra (and assume so for '68, I can't find the '68 catalog now...), In the'69 console catalog it's NOW the lowest in the line. So being that this is a Custom Electra, it's maintained it's stature in the lineup and continued to do so right up to the end apparently. Red; you can easily see the difference in the top with KANASAY's photo's compared to a ' C.E. 66. The difference is about 6" but I like the way FISHER angled the baseplate for the receiver, instead of leaving it flat like in the '65's.

Back
Top Bottom