Fisher RS-1050 speaker match.

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by LP guy, Nov 12, 2017.

1. LP guy

LP guy New Member

I just bought a used RS-1050 that was supposed to sound beautiful. I unpacked and it sounds terrible. The seller tells me I need speakers with a sensitivity of 95 or more which will cost m ore than the receiver? Please advise me.

2. Tom B

Tom B AK Subscriber Subscriber

This receiver is pretty straight forward with a standard design, and should sound fine with almost any speakers, other than maybe low efficiency 4 ohm speakers. And even then, it should sound OK, just low volume.

What do you mean "sounds terrible"?? Is the sound crackly, or distorted?? no power ??

3. LP guy

LP guy New Member

When I listen to vinyl from my AT LP120/ white album, it sounds muddy, not crisp.

4. Tom B

How does the FM sound??

5. LP guy

LP guy New Member

the volume is so low it's hard to tell. With the volume cranked all the way it's just over a whisper. I should mention the phono is a little louder but cranked is still very low.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

It's not a speaker problem, the problem is in the RS-1050. Does it have jumpers marked PRE-OUT/MAIN IN? Pull them 1st and clean with DeOxit, and reinsert them, but DO NOT bottom them out or you'll short them out. Leave a little space between the jumper and the edge of the RCA JACK. TEST UNIT CAREFULLY. If that doesn't do it, then pull them and if you have another amp/receiver with jumpers.......Run a pair of RCA Cables from the pre-out's on the FISHER to the Main in's on the other unit. Test. Then reverse the leads so you have pre-outs from the other unit going to the Main In of the FISHER. Test again. Either the preamp boards have bad components on them or the Main amp does. It's a standard design with discrete components with a 50WPC rating. It can handle down to 87db rated speakers, they just won't be as loud at the same volume setting.

If it was sold as working and "SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL" it obviously doesn't. File a claim with ebay/paypal for substantially not as described.

7. Tom B

Larry, Good suggestion on the jumpers.

I am sure you have tried this, but make sure you have all switches in the right position. Just to check, I would advise you to put the unit volume around 9 oclock or 10 oclock, and exercise all switches and rotary controls one at a time. Switches like tape monitor, or 4 ch adaptor in the wrong position can cause a problem like you have. But then again, rough handling in shipping can also break connections and crack circuit boards as well.