Fisher RS-1080 question?

hamrules

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got done refurbing the Fisher and had to put some new bulbs in her. Bottom line the Stereo indicator lamp is like only dim @ best. Original bulb was rated @ 6v / 180ma new bulb is @ 6.3v / 200ma. Checked the wiring / OK. I'm stumped. Any Fisher guys out there that have any ideas what to look into. It's just frustrating as the rest work along with everything else. This weekend I need to get the meter on it for some voltage readings to see where we are but........ I do know the Power Supply circuit part of this is dead on @ 12.5v coming out.

Anything please...............help

Most times when you do this the higher voltage bulb in the same circuit is going to be dimmer. I've never replaced any of the indicator lights in any of my Fishers, they all still worked, so I don't know if this is the case here. I see no reason you couldn't use LEDs in these applications though, fabricating LEDs to work really is only as hard as the space to mount them, of course its not original but they last forever and usually are brighter cleaner light. Of course as many of these as I have I've been lucky with the lights, only thing I ever had burn out in a Fisher was one of the meter lights on one of my 1060s.

What voltage are you seeing across the bulb connection? The difference between a 6v or a 6.3v bulb is not material. You should see no difference in the brightness. If the new bulb is noticeably dimmer than it should be, my first two guesses are that you don't have 6v across the connection, or your new bulb is an 8v bulb.

Well I got around to checking the Voltages and they look good, everywhere I checked for this. Only thing that came out odd was if you checked both sides of the bulb it is only @ around 2.3volt. Makes no sense to me unless that is what happens if the bulb is a higher voltage rated like you said, will try another and see.

30 year old incandescent bulbs often only put out 50% of original. By setting in LED's you may be restoring it back to showroom.

Susurus: Your on it. I popped in a LED and she is glowing just nice and bright. Will work on this for the future for the rest for a project.

Last edited:
Stereo bulb may not be 6V

I've never worked on these units, but plenty of others, and often, the one bulb in some, if not many vintage receivers, is the FM stereo indicator, in many units this is a lower voltage bulb - 3V or even 1.5V -- Your voltage reading may be right, and the bulb was already replaced with a 6V which was wrong...............Just Sayin.......Carry on.

Edited out that reply from before good grief must have fallen asleep @ the keyboard or something.

If I didn't have to move about 800 laserdiscs I'd check the service manual.

Back
Top Bottom