Fisher RS-2007 receiver trouble

prestige725

Hi,
I've gotta question concerning a Fisher RS-2007 receiver. The receiver is in excellent cosmetic condition, and all the knobs dials are tight and sound. Unfortunetly it recently stopped working. I picked it up from and uncle who had it stored in his garage for years, claiming it didn't work. I dusted it off and plugged it into a couple of speakers to see if it would work for me. (Kinda a shot in the dark). To my surprise it worked and sounded great! After a good hour of listening to it I pushed the power button and took a break. Aproximatly an hour later I fired it back up but could get no sound from it. The receiver shows zero input and I cannot get any sound from any speaker. I've tried every combination of changing speakers, speaker outputs on the receiver, switching speaker selector from A, B & A+B, changing sources from radio to aux to tape deck inputs, and unplugging it for a day. It also refuses to pick up any radio signals. Everything lights up great and I made zero changes from when it worked to when it didn't. Although I have no Idea what the problem could be, I suspect something internal. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How are you at DIY? Could be a number of things but you're going to have to take its cover off and have a look inside. First things that come to mind are:

Protection relay (if it has one) is not clicking back on. Check fuses and fuse holders (if it has any) for loose or corroded connections. Take measurements with a voltmeter on all secondary taps from the power transformer. Could be a crack or broken connection in the circuit board somewhere. A loose or cold solder joint also comes to mind.

Re-solder all questionable solder connections and wires. If it worked great at one time, and then not at another time, it can only be something not making a connection, or something loose, or as it heats up, becomes intermittent.

If a single component or part were bad, it would either be blowing fuses, or would not work at all, or be very distorted on one or both channels, or would be doing some very weird things (smell, smoke, arc, overheating, etc.).

Just from what you have posted, I have to conclude that all parts are ok and that it is an easy problem somewhere that pertains to a loose wire or solder problem. Although rare, check the power switch. Some of those have extra connections to allow power to individual circuits in an amplifier.

Let's go from there. You will probably hear from other people here as well, so learn and live well!

By the way, welcome to AudioKarma!

Thanks for the welcome cademan. My DIY skills are moderate and possibly lacking in the electionics department, but I pride myself on my problem solving skills, and am always prepared to learn.

I will have a look at the fuse holders condition first. I've already inspected the fuses and they seem to be in perfect working order.

Failing that I will have close look at all the solder joints, and lastly inspect the power switch. It may be rare to have the extra connections for power to individual circuits, but it would explain why it still lights the bulbs.

Thank you for the guidance, I will update as soon as I've had some time to devote to this amplifier.

Thanks for the welcome cademan. My DIY skills are moderate and possibly lacking in the electionics department, but I pride myself on my problem solving skills, and am always prepared to learn.

I will have a look at the fuse holders condition first. I've already inspected the fuses and they seem to be in perfect working order.

Failing that I will have close look at all the solder joints, and lastly inspect the power switch. It may be rare to have the extra connections for power to individual circuits, but it would explain why it still lights the bulbs.

Thank you for the guidance, I will update as soon as I've had some time to devote to this amplifier.

Well? Any luck?

Don't think you're gonna get an answer Rickyo. prestige725's last post was in 2008.

Back
Top Bottom