Fisher RS-580 Reciever question

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by n0rman, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:39 AM.

1. n0rman

n0rman New Member

Hi, I'm new here. Thanks for a great forum.

A friend of mine is selling Sony SS-G5 speakers for cheap and I already have an old Fisher RS-580 reciever. Would this be a good match for a home gym stereo, or do the speakers need more power?

Thanks

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

From info I've gotten off searches, the 580 is rated for 100w each channel. Plenty of power for the SS-G5 which are rated 80W max. Most listening is under 5-10w anyway so they should match up fairly nicely. Just don't crank the 580 to 11. It's one of SANYO/FISHER offerings from the late 80's early 90's IIRC.

3. n0rman

n0rman New Member

Interesting. Can I connect these speakers with loose speaker wire directly or do I need some kind of adapter? I can't find any pictures of the SS-G5 terminals.
    Pardon the beginner questions...

4. larryderouin

You should be able to connect directly. Most speakers of that era either have screw connectors or spring clips, OR 5way connectors.

5. n0rman

n0rman New Member

Ok.. thanks for the help. I'm going to pick them up later today.

By the way (I hope it's OK to use the same thread) would it make sense for me to pick up an external DAC or CD-player with USB input to play music from my computer? I currently use 3,5mm jack to RCA which probably isnt ideal for sound quality, but I'm uncertain there would be any significant improvement in sound quality with the other stereo components.

6. larryderouin

I really don't know the answer to that one. Maybe one of the other guys might have an answer for you. I don't really see a problem with the current setup except for maybe an impedance mismatch. But as they are both S.S. there probably isn't a large mismatch. I'd expect a large mismatch between S.S. and tube.