Fisher RS-853 rescue mission

hmegdal

Hi everyone,

On a snowy day recently, I found a wonderful collection at my local recycling center. It's all Fisher, a full 8726D system, with Receiver RS-853, CD Player AD-853, Cassette Deck CR-W853 and Turntable MT-853. Whoever left it did so meticulously, carefully arranging, including manuals, etc.

The good news is, the CD player works great. And the cassette and turntable might as well! But the latter two plug specially into the receiver, which doesn't have any power whatsoever.

I am a novice, but I opened it up (because what do I have to lose?) and grabbed the fuse. It appears to be an SOC ST6, 125V 5A. Picture below.

My questions: how specific does the replacement have to be? Are there any other basics I ought to check while I have it open?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
Is the fuse bad?? Can you see if the filiment inside is burnt open? or can you measure it with an ohm meter?

Look for damage to the power cord as well. Sometimes dogs and cats chew them (remember Christmas Vacation??) And other times the cord breaks internally near the plug, which you can try putting a fuse in, and if that doesn't work power on the unit via power switch, and push the wire sort of into the plug from the back, observing the receivers front to see if the lights come on at all. Other than that, smell by the power transformer to see (or smell) if there is a burnt odor, which could indicate a bad transformer.

Hi Tom! Thanks for the quick reply.

So the fuse didn't turn black or anything. Alas, I don't have an ohm meter. I grabbed a same-size fuse for a few bucks just now, figure it's worth a try.
I did smell by the transformer, nothing to speak of. Cord is in excellent shape (whoever had these treated them right). It's surprising it won't turn on given the look and apparently the smell of it!

I have the same RS 853. It is getting power but doesn’t turn on.
Everything seems to check out ok.
Any suggestions?

Hi Tom! Thanks for the quick reply.

So the fuse didn't turn black or anything. Alas, I don't have an ohm meter. I grabbed a same-size fuse for a few bucks just now, figure it's worth a try.
I did smell by the transformer, nothing to speak of. Cord is in excellent shape (whoever had these treated them right). It's surprising it won't turn on given the look and apparently the smell of it!

I have the same problem. We’re you able to get yours to turn on?

Back
Top Bottom