Fisher RS-914 worth fixing?

xenobuzz

Hey all,

My first post here, but I hope someone could answer this question. I bought the entire system in 1988 (amp, dual tape deck and CD player) with a nice cabinet.

The problem is that the amp cannot seem to power up from standby mode. I tried using the remote but no dice. I only hear a single click inside the unit when I press the power button on the remote. Also, the LCD display no longer illuminates. The red line on the volume knob is at half brightness.

I've located a repair shop (that was actually listed in the manual that came with the system!) and they said to bring it for a look-see.

I've never had an electrical component like this repaired, and am just wondering it's worth the repair cost?

Thanks!

Dave S.

Have you checked the fuses?
Seems like a decent receiver, don't know if it's worth paying to repair it.

I have this receiver, if I recall its something like 120wpc. One of the better 1980s Fisher receivers. Has a bit of power to it. Not built like the 1970s but not junk either. I wouldn't invest boatloads in getting it running but not a bad receiver.

Have you checked the fuses?
Seems like a decent receiver, don't know if it's worth paying to repair it.

I've never opened the case and am not sure I would know what to look for. Facing the amp with the case off, where would I want to look?

Dave S.

Fuses should be near the power transformer and main capacitors. Take off the top and post a picture of the insides.

Back
Top Bottom