Fisher ST-425 Speakers (very early) Any info on them?

tdwpgtp

I have a set of very early Fisher speakers, model ST-425. There seems to be no information on them anywhere, and was hoping someone around here could provide some information, opinions, etc. on them. All input is appreciated. Thanks!

35i2kb5.jpg

11m3gn7.jpg

24x2ko6.jpg

2e3v22g.jpg

If you look up the XP SERIES SPEAKERS in the FISHER STICKIES (at the top of the forum) and take the dimensions of your ST's you might find a comparable speaker. These look to be Early 70's made speakers, as the "FISHER NEW YORK" shows that FISHER had not been moved to Chatsworth California by SANYO. These are most likely Emerson Era speakers. Other than that, I'm out of info.

I have a pair of these, nice punchy bass. Mine could probably use recap to bring the highs up but sound good. My
grills are shot also.

I would like to know how those grills survived. My Utahs had similar grills in a light chocolate color. They crumbled within a few years. But unlike these Fishers, the foam had a masonite backer board. The woofers had cloth surrounds, so they went on and on and on.

I had a pair of Marantz 4G's and the foam self-destructed within 4 years. And they were also on Masonite board.

It seems that speakers were a low priority for Fisher. These seem to be veneered in genuine walnut-grained paper [yes, this stuff does exist], and the big dust cap on the woofer would seem to hide a very small voice coil, or you would see the leads.

Hey guys, I just happened to stumble across these again at my parents' house last night, and decided to check back in on this post. What a coincidence that people are responding just a few days ago to such an old post.

Anyway, one of the woofers has been over driven (thanks, dad!), and rattles a little if you put any real bass through it. I feel bad just tossing them out, so I was wondering if anyone had any interest in them. Maybe I will attempt to part out the tweeters, but I know a lot of fisher speakers aren't worth a whole lot, so who knows.

So it turns out the rattling I was hearing so long ago was just a bad seal on the woofer basket. After resealing it, I have been using them on my electronics bench, and I have to say I have grown to love these. They are very enjoyable to listen to, at least in this small room, and up close. They actually extend down to 45ish hz before they roll off, and play audibly down to 28(!) hz, at least in this room. That's pretty crazy for a speaker this size, this old.

I can't promise that they would please the most critical audiophiles, but I sure have taken a liking to them. I don't think I will be getting rid of them any time soon. Plus, they seem to be extremely uncommon.. There isn't another mention of them that I can find online, aside from what was posted above.

Btw, the grill in the pic is a generic replacment i beleive. Mine had form pressed plastic-y grills, they deteriorated.

Btw, the grill in the pic is a generic replacment i beleive. Mine had form pressed plastic-y grills, they deteriorated.

I figured as much. I think I saw another pair for sale locally at one point with a different grille, but I'm not 100% sure, as I couldn't see the model number

Back
Top Bottom