1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Fisher Statesman II - S70 - Modern Cabinet - 1961

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by jonboy55, Feb 9, 2018.

1. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

Thats a really nice console and with some stellar electronics. Trafos on that SA-100 are just massive.

I'm one of those wierd mostly-original types for cars too. The Towncar is not stock but that all started before I was concerned with such things. I have always tried to keep it stock looking though. Much of my audio gear is similar. It may not all be 100% as-built but its mostly stock looking. My one console is still a console too, even though I have changed the speakers to make it not awful. The stock ones quite frankly sucked, so something had to be done about it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Noreaster

Noreaster Well-Known Member

That is one of the nicest Fisher consoles I have ever seen. Thanks for posting all the pics.

3. jonboy55

jonboy55 Well-Known Member

We have to thank the person who emailed the photos to me.

I agree it's a beautiful console and happy he isn't parting it out.

4. visman

visman AK Subscriber Subscriber

My gosh that is one fine looking console!

5. Vintage luck

Vintage luck New Member

6. Vintage luck

Vintage luck New Member

Not sure if im doing this right but just wanted to say wow very knowledgable group. I'm the proud owner of the 61-statesman jonboy posted. I promised some pics of owners manual and wondered of best format.

vendo81 and mcyuke like this.

7. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

Congratulations on that beauty! Welcome to the Fisher family.

This is the place to come for help and encouragement. Please don't be a stranger as we'd love to hear how your refurb is coming along. The Statesman is a pretty rare console.

8. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Wow, what a beautiful and scarce console. The 202T and SA100 are two of my favorite Fisher items.

9. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Probably the best way is to scan them into jpg's and then send to jon@fisherconsoles.com and he'll shoot them up on the Statesman II-S-70 page.

10. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

1961 is a strange year for Fisher as far as MPX units. I'm guessing the MPX-50 plug in module came out in 1961 and was made to be used with the Statesman, as it was mentioned in the catalog. The manual that came with my MPX-50 is dated 1962 (which doesn't help), and the MPX-50 was in my 202-T and was an option. It was designed to be used with the 202-T, FM-100 and 100-T. There is no mention of the MPX-200 in the 1961 catalog, but the later catalogs do mention that 1961 was the first year of the MPX with stereo beacon, which would probably be the MPX-100.

Difficult to say if the MPX-200 was out in 1961 but it was in 1962.

1962 MPX50.jpg

The 1961 catalog of the Statesman II mentions "Facilities for adding THE FISHER Plug-In Multiplex Adapter to receive multiplex programs" which would be the MPX-50.

1961 catalog.jpg

The 1962 catalog has the MPX-200 as well as the MPX-100 with stereo beacon.

1962 MPX-200.jpg

...and the earlier 1960 catalog and brochure show the MPX-20 Crosby system to be used with the 202-T, so neither the MPX-50, MPX-100 or MPX-200 were out then. They do show the 202-T tuner/pre and SA100 amplifier. The 1961 Allied catalog doesn't show a MPX unit but they do in 1962.

1960 brochure.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  11. walyfd

walyfd Well-Known Member

I installed a 200 in the Executive. There's just enough space behind the tape recorder drawer for it. Catalog also says that mpx installation would be free with the purchase of an mpx with a console...

1961 is a bit strange. What happened to the Executive and President V? The 1960 catalog has them as a IV series and in '61, they're VI's...

Doesn't really matter just always been curious. Fisher consoles of this time were still the best of the lot.

vendo81 likes this.

12. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

'61 was the year Kennedy became President. The V/VI were both Model year '61 models (remember model years started in Sept. so the 61 models came out in Sept 60 for Consumers. So out with the Staid old comfortable IKE stuff, and in with the new, Futuristic, Space Age, Kennedy Stuff.

MPX: FISHER bet on the CROSBY system as it DIDN'T have the AM carrier, which made it less noisy. It didn't however have SCA capability. But FISHER also made models (before the actual FCC Decision) to the GE/Zenith Design which they thought was inferior. Which is one of the BIG Reasons that the 100-T and 202-T didn't last long. Read all about both in the FORUM STICKIES Section.

FISHER CONSOLES 1958-65 by TheRED1
    Fisher Multiplexers..............by TheRED1