Fisher TA-800 Restoration

I will convert my Fisher 400 to 6BL8 phase inverters. This is a time consuming job and will be a sinful departure from factory stock. I may use Mullard E80CF (6BL8 related). These Mullard E80CF tubes will be installed in the Scott 340B. You can try them in your TA-800 too.

Sounds interesting, I'm not changing a thing in the TA-800 though. Playing some Joe Satriani today with the 800 hooked to my Frazier MK IV's, just freaking crazy good!

Just stumbled upon this thread and found it very informative. As you can see I'm the proud owner of a TA-800 myself. My Fisher was a gift from my father, who has five or six Fisher tube receiver's. I only ever use an AUX cable to my iPhone. Dad gifted this set with the EQ you see in my profile pic saying I needed it working as a pre-amp. Can you give me any direction or verification? Thanks!

Last edited:
You really don't need a preamp with this. The Fisher has one built in already.

If you did want to use it, you should be able to connect the tape out into the eq, and the output from the eq into the tape monitor jack. Flip the switch to tape monitor and its on line.

Also, just a mention but I would not put that EQ on top of the Fisher. The Fisher makes a lot of heat, and it wants as much ventilation as you can give it. Putting other equipment on top of tube gear makes life bad for both pieces.

Good to know about stacking even though the EQ is over the wood and not the vent. must have been wrong thinking the PHONO input was the only input with a preamp.Still learning about this puppy. Kind of like learning to play violin on a Stradivarius. When I get home ill remove the EQ, Dad always said an iPhone needed a little extra boost from an external preamp. Any benefits to using a EQ with this receiver? Thanks for your input Gadget! I'm brand new on here.

I do, but I don't own one. I have an 80s Lincoln but the hood ornaments from the 60s were far cooler. I'd be quite satisfied having a mid 60s Conti, though honestly I suspect if I buy another fun car at some point it'll be a mid 60s Caddy. I like those too. I don't really have much of a thing for the muscle cars. They had crappy seats. Why hurt your back when you can have a car with a big block and couch. Unfortunately my 86 came with a fairly feeble 302 in stock form, but its a bit less feeble now. Still not anyone's idea of "fast", but certainly far less intolerable than the slug that it used to be.

The output from an ipod/iphone is a bit "meh", I'll agree with that. If you find yourself a DAC, those have better output. I used to use one with my ipod on a regular basis, but recently I ditched the stock Apple OS and replaced it with Rockbox. It gives me vastly easier file management, but unfortunately doesn't allow use of the digital output. Better for the car, worse for home. Since it spent a lot more time off the dock than on it, I'll survive I guess. I might also consider stealing my mother's ipod that she never uses and make that a dedicated at-home device for use in the dock.

My dad has a 65 Continental convertible, so your pic stood out.

Good tips on the Fisher. I have the EQ on a lower shelf now but can't bring myself to stop using it. Sounds too good!

Does anyone have a TA-800 owners manual, PDF form?
Thanks
I have looked everywhere. No luck. And I mean everywhere. ALL of the online forums, sites and resources as well as eBay. Please let me know if you stumble upon one. If one is ever found it needs to be imaged here for everyone. I use the TA 600 manual for some stuff, as it is the closest relative and the manuals are available...

Rob, thank you for your welcoming spirit! I'm new to the AK, IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1187.JPG IMG_1188.JPG Fisher and electronic world. After sticking a fork in a socket at 2 yr. old, I've stayed away. Now at 60, I think I am apt to rethink it. LOL
Here is some pics of the TA-800. I just recently bought Fisher 400, 500B and C and also a 800B.
Nothing like going head first.

No wonder they went S.S. rectification on the TA-800, No room for a Rect, tube after the 7591's went in. Otherwise it looks like a TA-600 from the top.

Pretty sure thats all it is, the TA600 front end with a hotter power amp section. The 600 was tight for space already, the 800 just looks jam packed. The output stage would also want more current, possibly more than the tube rectifier could have happily delivered.

Pretty sure thats all it is, the TA600 front end with a hotter power amp section. The 600 was tight for space already, the 800 just looks jam packed. The output stage would also want more current, possibly more than the tube rectifier could have happily delivered.
"Hotter" is the correct term. You could boil a pot of water over the back vent on mine. I've considered putting a small electric fan back there...

Rob, gadget is referring to the difference between the power of the 7189's in the TA600 and the 7591's in the TA-800, not the physical heat. Although if you've seen both of them they could boil water for eggs, and cook a steak to boot. They have a real thin chassis, no room for components, so the chassis gets physically hot from the underside heat also.

Go ahead and put a 12v computer muffin fan pulling out on the side away from the output tubes. Won't hurt it at all.

yeah, higher power output usually does go with more waste heat too. My 600 has no cabinet so it breathes OK but its still not exactly a cool customer.

After sticking a fork in a socket at 2 yr. old

I don't actually remember but my mother told stories of me having a cord with a plug on both ends. 50-50 chance of not shorting. She tended to blame the washing machine before finding the cord. A college classmate didn't have the 50-50 chance. He had a cord with a plug on one end and wires twisted together on the other end.

The biggie that I do remember was when I found out that a radio might get better reception if it was grounded in addition to the outside antenna. Problem was, this was a table top AC/DC with a hot chassis. It would be a few years later before I discovered that the ground could be attached through a capacitor.

I was about 9 I guess and had this little runabout boat (toy) with a 9V outboard motor. One day it wouldn't work so I went to test it. You got it! I stuck the leads into the wall socket, POW! The motor vaporized mostly(all I found was the lower unit with the prop attached and the motor shell, everything else was gone)and I found myself across the room jammed in between the wall and the bunkbed! After that and getting too close to a leaking flyback transformer that nailed me the week before cured me of anything electronic for about 45 years.

You guys were smarter than me. I didn't learn my lesson after getting shocked by stored charges in picture tubes or the like.

Rob, gadget is referring to the difference between the power of the 7189's in the TA600 and the 7591's in the TA-800, not the physical heat. Although if you've seen both of them they could boil water for eggs, and cook a steak to boot. They have a real thin chassis, no room for components, so the chassis gets physically hot from the underside heat also.

Go ahead and put a 12v computer muffin fan pulling out on the side away from the output tubes. Won't hurt it at all.
Larry, I know. I was just making a joke. I will most likely add a small fan. I'm sure there are some mods to help the 800 run cooler.

Back
Top Bottom