Fisher TA-800 Restoration

Aluminium HVAC DUCT Sealing Tape, cover the sides of the transformers facing the output tubes. Helps re-direct radiant heat away from the transformers from the tubes. I don't remember if the 800 is cathode or fixed bias so you may be limited as to lowering bias to a operating point that is still in the optimal operating points. Other than that a fan would be a good idea.

Aluminium HVAC DUCT Sealing Tape, cover the sides of the transformers facing the output tubes. Helps re-direct radiant heat away from the transformers from the tubes. I don't remember if the 800 is cathode or fixed bias so you may be limited as to lowering bias to a operating point that is still in the optimal operating points. Other than that a fan would be a good idea.
Thanks Larry! It's safe to apply the HVAC tape directly on the transformers?

Yep. I've got it on the endbells on my Sansui 1000A (which runs hotter off than the TA-800 does running) and my TA-600.

New Stock the Tung-Sol Re-Issues. They are the same size as the originals, and as tight as the 800 is, I'm not sure EH's would fit. If you have a local dealer of EH 7591's go see them with the 800 and do a test fit. They have larger bottles so may not fit. No real sound quality differences between them. Try a dealer that matches at operating voltages, not just on a tube tester. Jim McShane does this and his prices are right in line with everyone else. And his shipping is faster than a greased cheetah. Stay away from E-BAY for Tube purchases.

I think the EH 7591 and a 5U4GB are pretty nearly the same physical size. If you can fit a set of 5U4GB's in there comfortably, the EH should work. DO NOT TURN IT ON if you test fit those though, it'll end badly.

Or just use the Tung Sol tubes that will fit.

New Stock the Tung-Sol Re-Issues. They are the same size as the originals, and as tight as the 800 is, I'm not sure EH's would fit. If you have a local dealer of EH 7591's go see them with the 800 and do a test fit. They have larger bottles so may not fit. No real sound quality differences between them. Try a dealer that matches at operating voltages, not just on a tube tester. Jim McShane does this and his prices are right in line with everyone else. And his shipping is faster than a greased cheetah. Stay away from E-BAY for Tube purchases.
Sounds great. I'm liking the looks of the Tung-Sol tubes. I'm only finding the 7591A's. Which are taller, the 7591 or the "A" version? There's very little headroom in my cabinet. I think I have two of each currently...

Same size. The difference between the 91 and 91A is the orientation of the anode plate with relation to the tube pins. The "A"'s Plate is rotated 90* to apparently shed heat away from each tube when lined up in a row. Other than that, no difference in size, shape, power output.

Same size. The difference between the 91 and 91A is the orientation of the anode plate with relation to the tube pins. The "A"'s Plate is rotated 90* to apparently shed heat away from each tube when lined up in a row. Other than that, no difference in size, shape, power output.
Gotcha. Then which is the taller version that I've seen? Seems there's an original and another that's maybe half an inch taller.

Might be a coin base vs standard base difference, though I think they're still pretty darn close in height. JJ 7591's are taller than originals, EH are taller and fatter.

One of these more rare Fisher receivers (TA-800) fell into my lap earlier this year, it was sent to Jim (sony6060) to work his majic. I was informed it is working well and being finished up, I just love my TA-600 so this 800 should be sweet! :thmbsp:

I hope Jim can chime in and give some tech talk on the restore, I'm a little behind on the tube tech vocab. :D

I will post some pictures as soon as it gets back to me.
Is sony6060 still working on Fisher stereos. I have a TA800 I would like some work done. To up date it. Working very good what it to stay that way.

That’s to bad. By reading the old posts. He really is a highly skilled technician. And knows the TA800 well. They are one of or the best sounding Fishers I think. I have all three 800s the TA-800 800B 800C and some 500c. But this TA really stands out. I run all my stuff into JBL signature two ways. And Altec Santana 2s. Vintage speakers for vintage amps.

That’s to bad. By reading the old posts. He really is a highly skilled technician. And knows the TA800 well. They are one of or the best sounding Fishers I think. I have all three 800s the TA-800 800B 800C and some 500c. But this TA really stands out. I run all my stuff into JBL signature two ways. And Altec Santana 2s. Vintage speakers for vintage amps.
Yeah, sony6060 restored a couple of my units and did pretty decent work. It was the bad packing job on the last unit that caused quite a bit distress for me and eventually soured the relationship. There are others on AK that can restore Fisher and other brands, maybe they can message you their contact information. I still have my TA-800 and enjoy it just as much.

Why do we think the ta sounds so different compared to c? Does it maybe use something else for the phase inverters instead of the usual 12ax7? Better transformers?

Why do we think the ta sounds so different compared to c? Does it maybe use something else for the phase inverters instead of the usual 12ax7? Better transformers?
Dave Gillespie spelled out a bunch about what he found in the TA-800 that was different than the later 500-C and 800-C designs, it's mostly foreign language to me but I can copy and paste. :p Below is some of what he stated.

Lots of data has now been collected on the design of the original power amps in the TA-800. When looked at collectively with the tone control amplifier stages, there are a number of design elements that stand out between this receiver, and that of the 500C/800C series units:

1. As I had surmised earlier, the tone controls in the TA series (both models) have much more loss built into them, which ultimately allows for more boost to be had when the tone controls are advanced from the flat setting. Whereas the TA can provide about 20 DB of boost or cut, the later receivers had toned this down (pun intended) to about 14 db. The effect of this is that the TA's have twice the boost/cut capability in their tone controls than the later receivers have -- and it's definitely noticeable in use when switching between the TA and later receivers. This is in keeping in general with a trend in Fisher design, where less tone control range is available in their products throughout the 60s, versus those of the 50s. I have often commented that the amount of bass boost produced in a 400C preamp by the two-step loudness circuit of that unit is just gross, even on the first step -- to the point of being unlistenable/unusable. This was not an engineering defect, but a result of the sources available in that day. 78 RPM records and early microgroove recordings had little LF information to offer, so Fisher's tone controls of the day had more boost built into them. As source material improved, less range was needed in the tone altering circuits, so they were adjusted accordingly in later years. The TAs were part of the pivoting process, and so did not yet represent the end goal of the pivot.

All of this plays into this project because Fisher had the option to account for the greater signal loss of the tone control networks via the greater gain of the pentode section of the 7199 driver tube in the power amplifier section -- and they did take some advantage of that fact as will be seen later. All else being equal then, if the unit is modified to use a lower gain driver tube, that loss of gain will need to be made up somewhere else in the circuit if the ultimate high level (Aux input) sensitivity specification (250 mV measured) is to remain unchanged. The tone control amplifiers is the only available place to go and find it.

As designed, with the tone and balance controls centered, the overall gain of the complete 12AX7 tone amplifier stages at 1 kHz in the TA-800 (from Aux input to the top of the volume control) clocks in at a measly X1.60, and is derived as follows: With each 12AX7 section in the tone amplifier stages having a raw gain of about 40, this becomes a total raw gain of 1600 when they are cascaded from one section into the other. This total raw gain gets reduced by a factor of 10 due to the 20 db loss in the tone controls, and then by a factor of 10 at each 12AX7 section due the 20 db of NFB that each stage employs. That results in the overall gain of the tone control section reaching a factor of just 1.60. When Fisher converted the early version 600 to the later version of that unit, they had to deal with the loss of gain in the power amplifier section as well. They did that by slightly reducing the NFB applied around the first tone amplifier stage, which is ultimately what will be done with this project as well. But first, the sensitivity of the new power amplifier design will have to be accurately established to know how much the NFB will need to be reduced in the first tone stage to maintain the original high level input specification. So moving on........

2. The power amplifier section in the TA-800 is rather conventional, with two three notable points regarding its design:

A. The output tube screen grid dropping resistor is nearly 185% larger in the TA-800, versus that of later receivers. This causes the screen grid voltage to drop 75 volts (which is significant) when both channels are driven to full power output, which in turn causes 1 kHz THD to come in at 1.75% under those conditions, which is not a very attractive result at this frequency. Even when a single channel is driven, 1 kHz THD at full power output is still 0.8%. Fisher lowered the value of the screen dropping resistor considerably in later units, and while the screen grid voltage still drops in those units, it doesn't do so as much, allowing (in part) those units to develop more power, at less distortion. The addition of EFB will make a notable impact on the performance of the TA-800.

B. With the greater gain of the 7199 available in the power amplifier section, that could allow for more NFB to be used to reduce distortion -- especially to counter that produced by the large drop in screen grid voltage in the output stage as power output increases. Except, Fisher did not opt to do this, with the power amplifier sections operating with 15 db of NFB -- the same amount that the later receivers use as well. OK, then at least the extra gain could be used to make the power amplifier section more sensitive than with a lower gain drive tube -- and it does, but only increasing it by an estimated factor of about 2.5. The stock 7199 based power amplifier in the TA-800 has an input sensitivity of .40 vac to develop full power output. In the later receivers with a 12AX7 driver tube, that figure is more typically around 1.0 volt for the 2.5X reduction in sensitivity as noted. Yet, the pentode section of a 7199 tube has a gain of nearly 8X that of a single 12AX7 section, so where did all the extra gain go? In this design, Fisher chose to introduce NFB into the screen grid circuit of the 7199, to help stabilize the gain of the pentode section of that tube from one example to the next. High gain is a virtue of pentode stages, but it isn't always consistent from one example to the next. By introducing the screen grid feedback as they have, the gain is stabilized, which helps to stabilize the performance of the design.

C. Since Fisher didn't really need to use all the gain advantages the 7199 offered over that of a more conventional dual triode driver tube, then why was it used? One advantage it does have is its being immune to the effects of Miller, where HF response can be reduced in an otherwise triode stage due to the internal plate to grid feedback that takes place in those tubes. For those with really super sharp ears and a capable source and speakers, the early TA receivers have the capacity then to sound incrementally brighter than later receivers that use a dual triode tube in the driver position. But the effect is almost entirely pushed to very highest extremities of the audio spectrum where so very little audio exists, so the difference will be miniscule at best. Fisher clearly didn't have an issue converting to the use of a dual triode driver stage, so wanting to develop this modification in the spirit of "How would Fisher have done this?", that's the path this modification will take as well.

The best answer as to why Fisher used the 7199 in these units likely falls into the realm of traditions in the industry. When a new tube came out, it was traditionally offered to manufacturers at rock bottom prices to entice them into designing them into their sets. That gives the manufacturers a break, gets the tube "out there", and consumers get the latest technology, so everybody wins -- and often, that process did work great. Just look at the 7591!! But the 7199 wasn't filling a gap like the 7591 was, and with performance that was really little improved from the previous tri-pent tubes already out there, it just represented another inventory line, and as history has shown, didn't really solve any of the well known tri-pent tube construction problems. Fisher did their part to help out RCA and gave it a go, but in my opinion, made the smart move back to using dual triodes for their driver tubes.

One last specification of the 7199 design: HF response of the power amplifier section was down .70 db at 20 kHz, and down 3.0 db at 50 kHz. A 10 kHz square wave from Channel A is shown for future reference. As I customarily do, the development work for the new driver stage will all be done on one channel (Channel A in this case), leaving the other completely stock. This allows for real time side by side comparisons at any time throughout the project. Once the development is finalized and complete, then the other channel will be modified to match.

Steve, wasn't it your TA-800 that Dave modified to use a 7247 in place of the 7199? I know he modified someone's. Just curious if it sounds obviously different than a stock one.

Steve, wasn't it your TA-800 that Dave modified to use a 7247 in place of the 7199? I know he modified someone's. Just curious if it sounds obviously different than a stock one.
No, I believe that was Rob Thomas that had Dave restore his with that mod.

Back
Top Bottom