Fisher TX-1000

hi there,,, i , as of today, November 16, 2008 , i now have in my home a very robust and heavy The Fisher TX-1000 amplifier....i too would like to know about it... i read it was the top of the line that year for Fisher..1968......

It seems the TX-1000 is a 45wpc all transistor amplifier, weighs about 25 lbs and is good into a 4 ohm load. Like most such products of the era, materials use was very liberal resulting in great build quality.

hi Array; and thanks! curious i be so i gotta ask... my TX-1000 has two high filters, 1 and 2, why two high filters for different frequencies? and a tape head input..this for tape decks with NO preamp? it calls itself a Stereo control amplifier..isnt that another name for a preamp aka control amp? but isnt this an integrated amp?

hi Array; and thanks! curious i be so i gotta ask... my TX-1000 has two high filters, 1 and 2, why two high filters for different frequencies? and a tape head input..this for tape decks with NO preamp? it calls itself a Stereo control amplifier..isnt that another name for a preamp aka control amp? but isnt this an integrated amp?

Hi Bloo, to be honest I haven't even looked at the amp closely. Two filters... hmm, maybe the filter frequencies are identical except allocating one filter per channel? Not sure why they'd do that though. Having two selectable cutoff frequencies for the top and bottom are not uncommon on many old integrateds / receivers. Tape head input should be simply "tape in" from a tape source.

I don't know if you can isolate the pre-amp functionality stage on this unit but perhaps you can. The old EICO HF-81 integrated amp called their balance controls "focus" and I think "control amplifiers" fall into a similar terminology category. That is, the control amp is another name for an integrated pre-amp / amplifier combo.

Have you listened to it yet?

I don't have a TX-1000, but I do have a beautiful TX-2000 complete with the original walnut cabinet.

Both are listed as 50 wpc RMS, freq. response 20Hz-40kHz +/- 1.5 dB, THD 0.5%.

Front panel controls appear to be identical based on catalog pics. The 1000 appears in the 1968 Handbook, and the 2000 in the 1973. The 1000 had full-page exposure, but by 1973 Quad, receivers, and combo units were big, and the integrated amps were in the back, in very small ads.

Isn't tape head input for a low-level signal direct from the heads (similar to phono, but without the eq curve)? Not the same as a regular tape input, if so.

Isn't tape head input for a low-level signal direct from the heads (similar to phono, but without the eq curve)? Not the same as a regular tape input, if so.

Correct. An input labeled Tape Deck or Tape Head is not for the output of an amplified signal from a tape "recorder".

Try hooking up your tape deck to the "tape in" jacks and see if it works...

Back
Top Bottom