Fisher vs Mcintosh

Early MAC1700 had only single terminals with screw type connectors; later version had push style connectors with 4-8-16 ohm taps. MAC1900 had the taps too.

5849_5.jpg

Ahh...ok. Yes, I was aware of the newer style. I have the older style. Thanks!

Hmmm
Early MAC1700 had only single terminals with screw type connectors; later version had push style connectors with 4-8-16 ohm taps. MAC1900 had the taps too.

5849_5.jpg

I hadn't noticed that.
Pretty sure when I had 1700 it only had one set.
I restored a 1900 for my brother, I really don't remember.
I'm sure I have pics:dunno:

Yes some very fine sounding Sherwood and Eico pieces had faces only a mother could love.
No idea what they were thinking

I can honestly appreciate the industrial style of a lot of Eico gear it's certainly not the prettiest but it's practical. Sherwood on the other hand I really want to know who thought the green, orange, and red lights with the white paint good. Honestly I think it's a shame they didn't stick with the reddish color they used on some of the S1000s.

s-l1600.jpg

I have my 500-C hooked up to Acoustic Research AR-2AX and I love the sound. I've read they are power-thirsty, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for the 500-C. Thorne

62 -- Total respect for the MAC 1500 and its performance capability. But the Stereophile review on (I believe it was) a Fisher 500C receiver was conducted under questionable test conditions (for example, measuring phono EQ response at the Reverb Output jacks), with clearly something wrong with the receiver tested, or the test conditions used -- yet the results were not questioned, but taken as a representative example. It really didn't get a fair shake. The 500C will regularly produce 30 watts RMS (1 kHz, single channel driven) into 4, 8, or 16 Ohms, with more typically today, THD coming in at no less than 0.5% at rated power output under the stated conditions. With a fortunate set of decently matched American output tubes however, it will come in lower.

The Common output terminal of the 500C operates above ground level. I can't help but think that with glowing output tube plates, the published results were more the result of (possibly again) improper test connections/conditions than anything else.

Dave

Reasonable observations especially in view of the age of the unit. I'm sure there must be some Clinics evaluations lying around for these Fishers. Those would probably be more reliable.

I can honestly appreciate the industrial style of a lot of Eico gear it's certainly not the prettiest but it's practical. Sherwood on the other hand I really want to know who thought the green, orange, and red lights with the white paint good. Honestly I think it's a shame they didn't stick with the reddish color they used on some of the S1000s.

View attachment 1263209
Yes, the Sherwood models typically used a green background to their tuning dials. Age has not been kind to the material used. The Sherwood front panels were white paint over slick plated metal and over time the paint flakes off. Getting a Sherwood front panel in excellent cosmetic condition is becoming ever more difficult. The Eico and early Dynakit PAS-2 series preamps were quite utilitarian in appearance. The later models had improved front panels that looked much better.

Joe

Back
Top Bottom