Fisher X-100-3/How to change tape head input into MM phono

robnec

Hello. I was lucky to buy this amplifier in pristine condition. It was not a cheap buy but it came with tubes and wooden cabinet. I have rebuilt power supply and unit plays music beautifully. I ordered russian pio coupling caps and a choke. It works well as is for now with all voltages close to schematic. I will finish all work when rest o parts arrive. I would like to add second mm phono input but I am not able to decipher the diagram. Does anybody have it done already?IMG_20170126_141758.jpg IMG_20170126_142651.jpg

this was done a lot with Dynaco's PAS2/3. on the circuit diagram follow the original single phono signal
from the input RCAs, to and through the selector switch to its "final" destination at the phono stage
(usually a tube grid but could be on a circuit board - I'm not familiar with fishers). mark that location
with masking tape or a marker.

then trace the tape head input to the selector switch (this assumes there's NO parts in the signal path).
From there note any differences (caps and resistors for whatever the tape head equalization was designed for)
from the same path the phono signal took. then note where the signal ends - probably same general
location as the phono.

now wire the tape input the same (same parts or no parts and removing all tape head parts) and to the
same end destination.

the switch will select the designated phono input, they both end up at the phono amp section where
the phono RIAA filters kick in.

label the "tape" to phono or TT2.

this is a lot easier if a schematic is posted, then you could wire the tape signal path directly into
the phono sections. probably two wires at best case.

I've made some assumptions having never looked at a Fisher but you should be able
to follow my logic which should be the same as your intent.

good luck

Bob; Here's one channel of the X-100-3/X-100-A. Note that FISHER grounded unused inputs. (S1 side1 Rear). Which is pretty much how they wired all of their amps.
On PC1 (Tapeand phono PEC) 1 is output, 2 is for TAPE and 3 is for output. I can figure out the "hot" side but the grounds throw me. (connect 2 to 3 on S1 Front Section1 for the "hot" side),
ScreenHunter_37 Jan. 28 13.52.jpg 7

1. At each Tape Head Input jack: Add a 180K resistor from the center terminal, to the ground terminal.

2. At S1 Front Section 1 (and the appropriate section for the other channel): Disconnect lead #2 of PC1 where it connects to terminal #2 of S1. Tape off the lead.

3. At S1 Front Section 1 (and the appropriate section for the other channel): Connect a jumper between terminals #2 and #3.

The Tape Head inputs (when selected) will now act as a second set of phono input jacks.

I hope this helps!

Dave

Hello. I just came home from work and saw all posts. Thank you for help. I will "attack" the amp on Mon and post results. Thanks again. Robert.

Dave is, has, and always will be DA MAN. I'd have to get a few more IQ points and about a month to
tackle what he just did in microseconds

I did basically the same thing on my TA-600. Its not all that complicated and it works well. Mercifully Fisher put the whole EQ into one blob with just 3 wires on it and its a simple matter of disconnecting one and putting in a jumper. Some ignorant manufacturers put all of those individual components down inside of the rotary switch, and its a huge pain in the neck to modify.

Hello. I did some work inside the amplifier but not connected to inputs. I installed pots to adjust bias for power tubes and a choke.
Hopefully I will have time to do more work.IMG_20170131_114351.jpg IMG_20170131_114401.jpg

Hello. As always Dave's directions were spot on. It took less than half an hour to do the job. All works perfectly. Thanks again. Robert.

Back
Top Bottom