Fisher X-100 tubed phono stage vs. Rega Brio-R

beatcomber

AK Member
I recently recorded some comparative hi rez needledrops using the same LP, cartridge, and turntable, using both my '59 Fisher X-100 and a Rega Brio-R.

My observations:

Both are tonally closer than they are different. To my surprise, the Fisher has a bit more top end air, and bass is noticeably plumper. The midrange on both is about the same.

As expected, transients have more snap on the Rega, while the Fisher has a more laid-back presentation. The Fisher lacks some of the Rega’s absolute detail, but has richer bloom and more 3D imaging.

My conclusion:

Both phono stages provide excellent performance, and each has its own relative strengths. It certainly speaks highly of Fisher’s engineers that a nearly 60-year-old design can compete with a modern one! Ultimately, which is the better of the two depends on how much you value detail vs. bloom.

Fisher's RIAA stages were pretty good. Dave Gillespie came up with some tweaks to make them track even closer to published spec. I honestly can't offer any solid opinions on before/after since I rebuilt mine along with some other changes.

Back
Top Bottom