Fisher X 1000 HUM

762rob

Just last night, I was playing some records through my X 1000 - I've had an Empire 598 II TT connected to the RIAA 2 (Phono 2) for a long time. I was spinning an LP & I started to hear a background hum after about 1/2 hour - this progressed into a Very loud hum with music very faint and Way in the background.

Other inputs work fine- nothing has been moved - ground is still connected.

Any ideas?
:confused:

Have you checked the headshell leads to make sure they were not loose ?

Grumpy

Thanks-

I will -wouldn't hurt to look - this problem showed up about a mnoth ago and then went away - now its back.

If its not the headshell leads I would try another Turntable if you have one. That way you can narrow it down to one component or another.

Grumpy

Hi there,
This may be a dumb question, (although I'm the type who thinks the only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked!), but how close is your turntable to your speakers and amplifier?
In my experience, once turntable hum starts, it can become cumulative, like some sort of ground loop.
One cause that's not always immediately diagnosed is unwanted vibration of the stylus in the grooves, which can be caused by SPLs from your speakers if they're too close to the turntable.
As I understand it, the magnetic fields produced by the power transformers in amps and the like are also responsible for this type of hum.
Just a couple of things you may want to check before tearing everything else apart! :thmbsp:

Thanks - Turntable is 2' away - Klipsch Cornwalls are 6' and 18' away.

I'll fire it up again tonight and see if it is still doing it - it did it a month ago and then the next day it was fine again. Very strange.

Well, Grunpy I did what you said and also plugged the inputs in and out .

Played an Lp through this morning - no hum at all.

I guess we'll wait and see if the problem returns again!

OK for now I guess!

Good it worked -

This is my FM 1000 and X 1000 -
The X 1000 is behaving today!

Thanks for all your help everybody!

Rob
Nashville

Damn I love those ! makes me sorry i sold my X1000 :(

And I had two of them! - this one has a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls connected to it - the CD player is a Cambridge Audio 500.

Turntable is an Empire 598 II and the tape is a mint Marantz 5020

The other X 1000 I sold about a year ago.

This one I'm keeping no matter what it needs in the future!

Grumpy you can always get another - I saw one go on ebay last week for under $700 with the cabinet!

This one was rebuilt by DocFisher in '99. It was a mess - I bought it off eBay in '98 - the photo showed it in the back of a pickup truck in L.A.

It has traveled all over the country.

Two years ago I bought it a new faceplate with all the original jewels intact and all new knobs with the original brass inserts still intact. They have tiny markings on them - little dots that make it very hard to see where you are setting things but that was the original design. The Fm 1000 next to it has the same kind of knobs.

They are used almost every day.

Back
Top Bottom