Fisher X-1000 integrated - Welcome

audiodon

Addicted Member
Folks,
Just to prove lightning can strike twice, I've got another wonderful acquisition to announce on top of the Dynakit monoblocs.
Nothin' great for a year and then two in a week!

This is a Fisher X-1000 integrated with the old style faceplate. There are two faceplates, old and new. This is old and has a probably irreparable blemish on an otherwise fabulous integrated amp.

If you do a google search on images of a Fisher X-1000, you might get to the Fisherdoc's site. There's a picture of a new style X-1000 and an old style X-1000. The picture of the old style X-1000 is a picture of this unit. I got it from a friend who'd sent the picture for the Fisherdoc.
This photo pre-dates the original front panel damage.
http://fisherdoctor.com/pictures/fisher/amps/X-1000.jpg

This one has had all can caps replaced within the last 10 years, has had much interior work done, and requires new coupling caps and a few other doodads. E:-34 or 6CA7 outputs.

audiodon

Attachments

• frontpanelmine.jpg
    frontpanelmine.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 600
  • topchassis_1.jpg
    topchassis_1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 326
  • topchassis_2.jpg
    topchassis_2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 266
  • datestamp.jpg
    datestamp.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 234
  • chassis_4.jpg
    chassis_4.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Congrats on the X-1000 find! Looks like someone took harsh polish to the faceplate, and thought better of it after the damage was already done. What does it have for EL-34s and 12AX7s? I know I'd be getting rid of all those labelmaker tube markings. I'll be looking forward to your restoration thread. :D

I think I'd take very detailed pictures of the lettering, then polish the faceplate (and replate if necessary) and have it re-screened based on the photos.

I've been looking for one of these for quite a long time, but no luck yet.

I'm pleased that someone else has at least got to enjoy such a beautiful piece of vintage audio history.

It looks to be a real nice unit.

How about some comments on the sound, as I'm sure it's up to par by now.

Cheers

DAMN! I was in the 1st grade in Hampton VA. when that thing was dated!! SWEET!!!

Can I trade in my 400??:tears::scratch2: jk!!:D

Larry

Reviving this almost two year old thread.
I fixed the first level of hum by replacing the first stage filter caps.
The other can caps were replaced in the '80s and the unit still has some hum. I'm not sure how to distinguish if it's 60 or 120hz, but this unit has seen some bench time in the last week or so and I've started playing with it again.

More information forthcoming soon.

Well, more time has passed.
I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase a second X-1000 from Buglegirl - Thank You Frannie - and it came with a cabinet.
I restored the cabinet a few months ago by sanding the veneer some, which I had to do because some veneer needed patching and it's the only way to blend properly.
After also planing down the solid wood front bezel, I stained it red mahogany, put on six hand-rubbed coats of Sam Maloof poly and oil and then four coats of Maloof oil and wax.
It never had a screen, so I found some screen material that resembles the Fisher screens but is black for another project, and saved enough to put a screen on this one. Here are some cabinet shots.

Attachments

• cabinetand1000frontpanl3.jpg
    cabinetand1000frontpanl3.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 345
  • sixcoatsfinish.jpg
    sixcoatsfinish.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 179
  • Planedfrontofcab.jpg
    Planedfrontofcab.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 163
  • veneerpatch.jpg
    veneerpatch.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 152
  • veneerglue1.jpg
    veneerglue1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 175
I did quite a bit of work to it, for a unit that I thought was basically finished and just needed a few touches.
I spent some time with it and discovered it was unstable, pulsing the woofers on speakers in and out at about 1hz.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481974
After resolving that problem, which included replacing the one can cap that seemed to get hotter than I was happy with, replacing some coupling caps, putting in some death caps and doing some tube rolling, ending up with a Raytheon triple mica black plate 5814 in the final 12AU7 place, it's done, buttoned up, and has been put in service.
It has just such a sense of poise. It seems to have endless power, is dead silent at idle, doesn't run too hot, is in an elegant case, has a front panel lovingly restored by AK's own thedelihaus, has fancy schmancy coupling caps, a buncha telefunkens, a quad of Amperex double-halo gray plate EL-34s and sounds just glorious.
I can safely say that this has bumped both the HK HotRod and by beloved X-101-C out of first place in the integrated amp fidelity department.

The first place you can see this exact amp is from a picture the former owner sent to the Fisher Doc for his website before the front panel got damaged.
That photo of this very amp can be found here:
http://www.fisherdoctor.com/pictures/fisher/amps/X-1000.jpg

Here are some photos of the amp today. The harsh natural light or flash shows every little problem with the front panel. I can now read the lettering, it looks fabulous to the eye, and outside of flash or direct sunlight, it's as beautiful as seen in the first photo.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• X1000final1.jpg
    X1000final1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 709
  • X1000finalfrontwinterlite.jpg
    X1000finalfrontwinterlite.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 710
  • X1000finalrearvue.jpg
    X1000finalrearvue.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
You know how sometimes it takes a year to have a piece finally find you, right? It was one of those deals. When the offer finally came around after my initial request had been denied, I couldn't say no. I didn't have a cabinet and I also thought I was just going to stick the front panel on this one as a short term solution until I figured out how to get the original brass panel fixed. Little did I know that the brushed aluminum style front panel changed the position of the four toggle switches and wouldn't work.

Very nice, I love those X-1000's its good to see its in capable hands!

I had thought about getting one of those as a few came up which I had an opportunity to get, but I held off as I kind of had my mind set on getting a Sansui AU-111. Then a few weeks ago a clean AU-111 came up but I was unable to swing it, I should have snagged that X-1000 back when I had the chance. Any ideas on which of the two would be the better sounding amp?

Back
Top Bottom