Fisher X-101-C vs. 400

JohnMac

Addicted Member
I've got a line on an X-101-C and can't find much info on it. I currently have a 400. I seldom use the tuner and am ready for a change. I wonder how the phono sections compare and about the overall performance. I read that the X-101-C is 27 WPC. Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Last edited:
They both use the same phono PEC (that's a hybrid module with tape and phono EQ inside) so there's no gain there.

You're mining from the top of the heap. I'm in love with both. Sonically, they're surprisingly close, but I'd give the edge in soundstage depth and height cues to the X-101-C. It's cathode biased and uses 7591s for output tubes, unlike the 400, which is fixed bias and uses 7868s.

What works best, I believe, depends on the power requirements of your speakers and the size of the room you'd be likely to use them. They're approximately equal in power output, but I've been told that theoretically, the X-101-C compresses the audio when it's pushed really hard for power. I only heard the X-101-C out of its depth once, and that was at the NE AK Winterfest 2010 when hooked up to a pair of Energy speakers. I thought the bass was a tad loose when compared to the big honking SS amp it was in competition with. I'd still take it for soundstage though.

Let's put it this way - and I state this with all applications using powered subs:
X-101-C: For driving efficient speakers or stand mounted monitors that don't require large woofer control as would be typical of speakers that would use big power SS amps - The X-101-C would be my top tube amp choice. Can use boutique coupling caps and can rise to the quality of the cap - using couplers worth about as much as you want to spend.

400 - Probably a bit better woofer control and a tad more power. Again, you can use boutique caps up to about the level of an auricap and hear the difference. Has a tuner, but when tweaked probably can't reach the quality heights an X-101-C can reach.

Let's put it this way: The X-101-C is my daily listener and I sold my reference 400. So, for me, in my office application with stand mounted monitors and a sub, the X-101-C won.

What would I choose? Hard to say, but if pressed, I'd take the X-101-C. The 400 is vastly underrated though as an atavistic throwback to the 500-B receiver yet is a real sleeper. When done right, I'll take the 400 over the 500-C unless you're looking for outright muscularity of sound. The 400 is very capable of being subtle in its midrange presentation and, when done properly, grows on you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. It would be used in a very small room mainly with a turntable and never pushed. I like the phono section on my 400. I also have a rebuilt HK Athat doesn't come close, in my opinion.

Speakers come and go. I currently have AR4xs and 2axs, Wharfedale W-70, and a couple of KLH models. Wouldn't have a problem fitting speakers to the amp.

I seldom use a receiver in that application and I have two tube tuners.

Given that the two pieces were of equal condition are the close enough in value for an even trade?

If the seller will swap, it'd be a good deal if you use outboard tuners. Condition, cabinet, cosmetics, and tube complement affect the value of the trade.

Back
Top Bottom