Fisher X-202 amplifier

nitrous

96 dB freak!
I just acquired a gold colored Fisher X-202 amp for $10, which I had to unscrew out of a 10 foot long cabinet in a dark cellar (also a pair of unusual looking Lafayette SK110 speakers, made by Goodmans of England <- these appear to be 3 in 1 speakers->
11" woofer, centered by a 4.5" tweeter, with a
3.5" long horn in the bullseye center! Sorry, no digital camera yet to post pix with.))
re the X-202 (btw, not a X-202b, a X-202):
is anyone familiar with the power output of this amp? Does anyone have an instruction manual of this X202? I dl'ed the service manual with the schematic. I'm in no rush, as I plan to bring this baby back to life slowly with a variable AC transformer, after checking out the tubes. I also plan to revive my parents' old Motorola Model SK30W console, which has a teriffic tube amp, but is now not lighting up. If anyone has a schematic for the Motorola SK30W I would also greatly appreciate that as well!
Steve in NYC

Output is maybe 15W if it's 6BQ5s, 30W if it's 7591s.

You're looking for Sams # 491-11 for the Motorola - I'll see if I have it when I get home.

Very nice amps well worth rebuilding or having it rebuilt. All Fisher integrated amps are very nice for the most part. I believe the X202 uses 7591 output tubes for about 30 WPC its been over a year since one crossed my bench.

Craig

Last edited:
I found the Sams Folder for the Moto console - it is now in the (growing) "to be scanned" pile...

Oh yeah - the X202 is in Sams 526-4, X202B is 611-6. Pretty sure I have neither...

Thanks for locating the schematic finds in Sams' Tom! I tried to find it there, but it seems I'm inept at locating anything in Sams Folder. Will you be eventually uploading the 491-11 Motorola schematic to the forthcoming schematics/manuals forum/file? Let me know. I may try hitting a local library which I know has many volumes of Sams folders this week. Craig: I know the Motorola amp is a good one, as I grew up dancing to it. As a teenager, I remember turning the "Loudness" knob to
10, then going outside to mow my front yard with a gas lawn mower, and still being able to hear my
Beatles record over the roar of the lawn mower!
(This was done while my parents were out, of course. The neighbors were not too happy with my actions or musical selections.) I am looking forward to hearing the Fisher as well. My wife still doesn't understand.....

7189's

The X202 "non B" used 7189 outputs, and is rather nice sounding.

The X202B is the 7591 model.

It will need the selenium rectifier replaced or you will eventually loose bias and destroy something. Filter caps are often bad, and coupling caps to the output should be changed before any use.

If you have a nice faceplate you are rather fortunate. They are often pitted.

I have some schematics and documentation on both should you need.

- Gary

http://www.the-planet.org

Re: 7189's

Originally posted by Gary Kaufman
The X202 "non B" used 7189 outputs, and is rather nice sounding.
Yup. It uses a 5AR4 rectifier, and has some cool lights to indicate your input selection, IIRC. Great-sounding little integrated. I loaned mine to a buddy once, and he was amazed at how it sounded compared to his Golden Tube SE-40. He even thought the phono section was tops!

And it's true, replace the caps, hook up to the right speakers, and ENJOY.

The Goodmans must be high efficiency? I hear them mentioned a lot with Electro Voice coaxials...

You guys are getting me all hot and excited with anticipation. I greatly appreciate all of your suggestions & comments. Gary, the X202 faceplate is clean; no pitting. I do plan to replace the coupling caps & get a new Se rectifier. I'll contact you re copies of the schematics & docs. Guess I should take some before & after photos to post for all to see.

Fisher X-202 Update

I got it to work!!! Got the Fisher X-202 integrated amp to drive
my 3 channel Motorola stereo speaker system (c.1960), which consists of a 15" Jensen woofer, two 8" dual cone Golden Voice mid-range jobs, & two 5" Golden Voice tweeters. Listening to my McIntosh MR-73 tuner right now.
Will hook up one of my many tts and Teac decks next- 1 or 2 of 'em gotta work! Now I'm a tube man! :banana:

Back
Top Bottom