Fisher X-202 speaker connections,

perchdog

AudioDouchebag
Just recieved a new toy and no instructions were included but assembly required... Need to verify how speakers hook up. I see the one jumper hooks from the "s" terminal to the 8 ohm terminal. Does a 2nd jumper need to be hooked up as well ?
Also the tuner is a little confusing, can anyone explain the mono outputs versus the stereo ??

Last edited:
so does that mean only one jumper and 'g' would be common ground for the 2 speakers
? :scratch2:

i just want to run stereo right now

Last edited:
It has arrived! Kind of anti-climatic first pictures, though. Is everything in one piece?

Here's the Sams of the X-202's output section. It is a bit unusual. Hope this helps.

X-202Output.jpg

There was a period of attempts by manufacturers to have the speaker terminals do all things for all people. I don't imagine they ever thought 50 years would pass and the manuals would be lost yet their amps would be revered as treasures.
Try wiring up the speakers on an Eico Stereo 40 if you think this is unusual.
TheRed1s schematic tells you all you need to know.

Thanks Carter....
That does tell the story but what about the funky tuner ??
I will post some pics in the console thread a little later..
p.s. yes everything arrived safely.

Does that tuner have two seperate dials? One for AM and one for FM? I have never owned a Fisher tuner so I don't know how they work however you can use a pair of RCA jacks and connect them to the MONO AM & FM jacks and see how it works, then connect the pair of jacks to the Stereo AM & FM jack and see how it works. In those days from what I have read here, stereo broadcasts were broadcasted where one channel was on the AM side, and the other channel was on the FM side in a similcast kind of way.

Someone else will be able to tell you, but I am not sure if that is a true FM MPX tuner.

Last edited:
That 4000-R is going to be interesting. I don't have schematics for that or the 101-R which may be similar. You are probably already aware that this tuner is from the 'simulcast' era before multiplex stereo FM was adjudicated by the FCC. To receive modern stereo broadcasts you need to hook up an external MPX decoder. There should be a dedicated MPX output but I don't see it in your photo. What I do see is a little confusing.

It looks like 3 sets of 2 RCA connectors. The one on the left is an FM/AM pair, presumably for receiving simulcast broadcasts. The next is an FM mono output with a redundant jack to hook up to a recording device. The way Fisher wired these is the same as if you used a 'Y' adapter. The last pair is the AM mono version of the previous output. Where's your MPX output? If you have one it will be a single RCA jack that you would connect to the input of an outboard MPX decoder. The decoder will have a stereo set of RCA jacks that would connect directly to the AUX inputs on the X-202. Oddly the X-202 doesn't have a dedicated pair of stereo MPX inputs. Many Fisher receivers and integrated amps from this period did.

It's possible the 4000-R had provisions for an internal MPX and the connections are somewhere on the top of the chassis. But if that were the case then you should have a stereo FM output on the rear panel which I do not see.

Great - a picture is worth a thousand words. That schematic shows what I was trying to describe for using the Phase Switch - the "S" connector jumper selects the 4/8/16 impedance for that channel - then you can use the Phase Switch with the "H" & "L" as the speaker connections on that channel. But it sounds like you plan on initially connecting direct to the specific impedance terminal instead of using the Phase Switch with H & L.

Also, note that the "C" and "G" terminals are not the same. The "C" terminals connect to ground via 0.47 ohm resistors. So, if eventually using the Phase Switch and the H & L connectors, then note that this would connect that speaker to that channel's "C". In this case, if using G on the other channel, you would need that other G to C jumper as shown.

...It looks like 3 sets of 2 RCA connectors. The one on the left is an FM/AM pair, presumably for receiving simulcast broadcasts. The next is an FM mono output with a redundant jack to hook up to a recording device. The way Fisher wired these is the same as if you used a 'Y' adapter. The last pair is the AM mono version of the previous output...

Actually it looks like those are all Outputs. The left pair say FM/AM Monaural Outputs; the other two pairs are for "Stereo" outputs using FM and AM.

ok,
here is a shot from the top of the chassis. definately shows a multiplexer output.

edit... ok my bad, i do have the multiplex unit also. for some reason i was thinking it was a space expander. guess its been a long couple of days and i need to do my home work. it is all for not anyhow, apparently (1) channel is out on amp. guess its time to break out tube tester and try to find schematic.

Last edited:
Actually it looks like those are all Outputs. The left pair say FM/AM Monaural Outputs; the other two pairs are for "Stereo" outputs using FM and AM.
I realize that these are all outputs. My wording (receiving simulcast broadcasts) was probably not too clear but I meant simulcast output. I did not notice the "stereo outputs" labels on the FM and AM pairs. But these would still be the equivalent of using a 'Y' adapter on a mono output, correct? Or are these true stereo outputs (AM stereo?) for use when an MPX decoder is connected? If so, then where is the stereo input pair of RCAs for the decoded multiplex signal?

I knew this 4000-R was going to be interesting.

sorry,
my bad, this probably is the key piece of the puzzle. how it hooks up, i do not know :confused:

Last edited:
ok,
here is a shot from the top of the chassis. definately shows a multiplexer output.

edit... ok my bad, i do have the multiplex unit also. for some reason i was thinking it was a space expander. guess its been a long couple of days and i need to do my home work. it is all for not anyhow, apparently (1) channel is out on amp. guess its time to break out tube tester and try to find schematic.
Do you suppose the outputs from the multiplex are supposed to plug into the X-202?

Too bad about the non-functioning channel but you really ought to do a complete overhaul on those units, anyway. It's probably something simple (maybe something vibrated loose on those Pennsylvania highways) but you don't want to take chances with such nice equipment.

I had something very similar happen to me when I brought home the Commander's console. It was working fine at the Commander's house but when I got it hooked up here I only had one channel. It slowly came back to life as the amp warmed up. That amp is currently in the shop so I should know the root cause soon. Probably dirty tube sockets, dirty wipers on a selector switch or a bad tube (possibly damaged in transit - and that was a mere 20 miles).

I'll try to get schematics for the X-202 scanned and off to you in a day or two.

sorry,
my bad, this probably is the key piece of the puzzle. how it hooks up, i do not know :confused:

Plug a single RCA cable from the "Multiplexer Output" on top of the tuner chassis to one of the input jacks on top of the MPX-200 chassis. I'm not sure which one to use, hopefully someone will know.

I can't find a good pic of the back of an X-202. If you can post one showing all of the RCA inputs, we can figure out where the MPX outputs are supposed to go. I'm not sure why the MPX-200 has doubled outputs, but you'll only need to use one each of L and R to connect it to the X-202.

I think Carter is right, a recapp is definately in order and was the plan anyhow. I will look around for a service manual on the console itself, not sure if I will find one but does not hurt to try.

This pic should show all the inputs though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom