Five Favorite Science Fiction Movies - Mine and Yours

Yea a lot of movies over the years. Never mind the 2 local theatres to go to on Saturdays.

Forbidden Planet +10
Leslie Nielson, John MacAffe and the lovely Anne Francis
9381-1280a.jpg

Remember quite a few flicks. Grew up with NYC TV stations 65-78. , http://www.dvddrive-in.com/Chiller/chiller.htm . http://www.dvddrive-in.com/TV Guide/creaturefeaturesarticle.htm http://dvddrive-in.com/TV Guide/430movielogo.htm Man could I watch some movies during that time.

When I was little that stupid six-fingered Chiller hand would scare the living shit out of me. I had nightmares featuring that ****ing thing until I was 12 or 13. Now I love it! I didn't even realize we were getting an invaluable lesson in the golden age of horror until way later.

Only five is tough. Maybe sort them by the decade?

Most of these are 50's vintage.

War of the Worlds (not the Tom Cruise version)
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Alien
Forbidden Planet
The Thing/The Thing from Another World (OK, that's two)

Honorable mentions:

Independence Day
Some of the black and white sci-fi bug movies (Them, The Beginning of the End, etc.)
2001/2010
Terminator Series
Star Trek Series
Blade Runner
Logan's Run
Westworld
Omega Man/Last Man on Earth
Quatermass and the Pit
Andromeda Strain

Yes, Dark City was a brilliant movie.

I rewatched it last week and have seen it many times. It never gets old and I can watch it for different reasons. Visually it is simply stunning. Even more amazing are the sets, the entire film was shot in a soundstage. All the facades are painted canvas over frames, trompe l'oeil to the extreme, amazing. One thing the director (Alex Proyas) did well was keep the dreamy and surreal aspect anchored by the actors. Conscious sleepwalking is how they come across and it works. I like this one a lot and it reminds me of David Cronenberg's work.

Based on Harry Harrison's Make Room Make Room story.

Very little in common with the book though. It is radically different and not unlike Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep vs. Blade Runner.

In both cases IMO the films are better than the source material.

Separately, I also thought of Alex Proyas's "Dark City" and
Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" though I'm not sure either
is technically "Science Fiction"...

Watched both of these during our week & a half without internet. Dark City is definitely sci-fi. Brazil is hard to lay a finger on though. It's clearly retro future in style. You also get the sense that society was laid low in the past, perhaps from war, and this is the new society that emerged. Perhaps post-apocalyptic is where it fits? Regardless, it's a great film. If anything it's lack of easy classification is a testament to Gilliam's talent. The what and where is always in the background and despite the outlandish sets and often cartoonish events, the focus remains on the lead actors and what they are doing.

Watched both of these during our week & a half without internet. Dark City is definitely sci-fi. Brazil is hard to lay a finger on though. It's clearly retro future in style. You also get the sense that society was laid low in the past, perhaps from war, and this is the new society that emerged. Perhaps post-apocalyptic is where it fits? Regardless, it's a great film. If anything it's lack of easy classification is a testament to Gilliam's talent. The what and where is always in the background and despite the outlandish sets and often cartoonish events, the focus remains on the lead actors and what they are doing.

You may well be right about Brazil but another interpretation is that society has laid itself low.

Back
Top Bottom