Five Favorite Science Fiction Movies - Mine and Yours

2001: A Space Odyssey
Fritz Lang's Metropolis
Star Wars - A New Hope
Alien
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951 version)
Honorable mentions:
THX 1138
Blade Runner
Forbidden Planet
Logan's Run

Sounds good. Check out my earlier post #51. Between all 3 stations saw quite a few movies. Going to the local theaters saw a lot of movies in the 70's. And worked one summer at the local drive-in.

Made it to very few theater sci-fi films unless my sister took me. I made it to 2001 that way but others were B-grade rolls (Mission: Stardust & Moon Zero Two). TV was another matter though. I grew up in Fresno and there was one TV station that ran mostly sci-fi but also horror & monster films during the week at 4PM one year. The showings coincided with my arrival home after school. I think I spent most of 4th grade and part of my 5th in front of the set until 5:30PM each day. It was a showcase of Hammer, American International, and similar studios which ran from great to total schlock but I watched them all. Almost certainly this shaped my enjoyment for sci-fi. One film in particular, Island of Terror (sci-fi and horror), caused me to shut the drapes, lock the doors, and hide in my room until my mom came home.

/latchkey kid

island-of-terror-poster-alt.jpg

That is one I want a copy of. As a kid I don't blame you for locking the doors, closing the drapes. One scary film, waiting for them silicates to drop on you. But you tube has a screwed up version that allows it up.

That is one I want a copy of. As a kid I don't blame you for locking the doors, closing the drapes. One scary film, waiting for them silicates to drop on you. But you tube has a screwed up version that allows it up.

Honestly, its was years later that I finally watched it all the way through. It is a stand-out as far as sci-fi/horror goes and should get credit for being one of the 1st. I usually see Alien mentioned for that. Besides, it starred Peter Cushing. Much later I felt he was akin to a family member I'd seen him as Van Helsing so many times.

dracula-58-peter-cushing-van-helsing1.jpg

I like some of the weird, low-rent stuff that came out in the 70s and 80s -

Battle Beyond the Stars (with the universes' only space ship with boobs)
Krull
Black Hole
Space Hunter
Enemy Mine
The Last Starfighter

nell.jpg

Oh - apparently Nell was designed by a young James Cameron ! I never knew that. Nor did I know he started out as a model maker and FX guy. Cool.

No...no...no

Lou had prosthetics in this one, made him look like the creature from the black lagoon.

It's a heart breaker....you'll cry too.

:D

I'll Play
Forbidden Planet
War of the worlds (original)
2001 Space Odessy
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Silent Running

Going to see Ready Player One which might be new to the list,. Not even going to wait for dvd to come out to watch at home.

War Of The Worlds has been made into a movie four times as far as I know. Most are familiar with the 1953 version and the Tom Cruise version (2005).
It was also made again twice in 2005. Once for Pendragon called H.G. Wells War Of The Worlds (This is a true adaption of the 1898 book) and again in a two movie series also called H.G. Wells War Of The Worlds and War Of The Worlds 2 The Next Wave.
The Pendragon movie must have had a budget of a couple hundred dollars but I think I like it best. The book is just plain creepy and I love it.

War Of The Worlds has been made into a movie four times as far as I know. Most are familiar with the 1953 version and the Tom Cruise version (2005).
It was also made again twice in 2005. Once for Pendragon called H.G. Wells War Of The Worlds (This is a true adaption of the 1898 book) and again in a two movie series also called H.G. Wells War Of The Worlds and War Of The Worlds 2 The Next Wave.
The Pendragon movie must have had a budget of a couple hundred dollars but I think I like it best. The book is just plain creepy and I love it.
First War of the Worlds was the best one in my opinion. NY Times didn't give Ready Player One a great review, but who cares.

Back
Top Bottom