Five Favorite Science Fiction Movies - Mine and Yours

Anybody ever read Zip Zip and his Flying Saucer when they were a kido_O
zip-zip-flying-saucer-john-schealer_1_2aab9ec45e9edf871a5d89ddd41b5837.jpg

Favorite five that don't include Blade Runner and don't repeat the preceding, hmmmm, that's tough...

In no particular order -

Colossus, The Forbin Project
Forbidden Planet
Terminator
THX 1138
Robocop

Runners up -

Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
Minority Report
Hardware
Scanners
Outland

Was scanning this thread to remember a movie's name I'd forgotten and this thought hit me: Screamers may just be the best adaptation of a Dick story, Second Variety.

Last edited:
Another senior brain fart. I remember a while back agreeing with you that A Scanner Darkly was the film that best captured a Philip K. book. Upon seeing Scanners in your post I realized that Scanners, damn I mean Screamers, also fits this description. I think I need a brain scan.

Last edited:
I read Zip-zip in 5th grade! At that time I was making my favorite Sci-Fi vehicles from cardboard and such. I had the "This Island Earth" ship, Jupiter 2 with landing gear, a Supercar, and a Proteus scaled to the size of a ping pong ball for the front. I did a Boeing SST with drooping cockpit too!.
There was also Mrs. Pickrell goes to Mars, and Harriot the Spy. I had the plastic rubber band launch version of Fireball XL-5 and the bigger Kenner(?) short XL-5 too. I now have a rare Comet XL-5 vacuform kit, but the decals have 'oranged' over the decades, so I'l need to have new decals done.

My top 5 (using "new math", lol)

1. Alien
2. Max Mad:Road Warrior
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Blade Runner
5. Terminator
6. The Matrix
7. Guardians of the Galaxy

Alien
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1978)
Forbidden Planet
Dark City
Logan's Run (or maybe The Thing, I really love that one as well!)

My top two feature Veronica Cartwright in key roles. I don't think anyone could beat her at portraying hysteria, a very underrated actress. I'd also classify Alien and Invasion of the Body Snatchers as my two favorite horror movies, and due to the superb actors and characterization in the scripts, they work as dramas as well.

Aliens
Alien
T2
Terminator
Kronos- Yeah, the plot makes no sense, some of the special effects are drawings(!), and the ending is kind of abrupt, but the voice of George Jetson being one of the stars is a plus, and it saddens me the remake never happened, with good FX and a plot change, it could have been great, especially if the original music was used. All you need to do to make the plot make sense is to make the machine draw life energy from the Earth, not electrical power.

What's my most disliked SF movie?
Probably 2001, I hated it when I saw it in the theatre, and every time since.

Back
Top Bottom