Five Favorite Science Fiction TV Series - Mine and Yours

I don't look at much TV now, but I used to watch a lot of sci-fi in my younger days. I was a big fan of The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, Kolchak the Night Stalker, One Step Beyond and my all time favorite, The Invaders with Roy Thinnes.

The-Invaders-1-the-60s-810498_800_600.jpg

Mister Robot is excellent. Having been a big reader of PKD back in the day I'm hesitating with The Man in the High Castle.

Going with the Mars novel tangent, have you read Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy?

The Man in a High Castle has been a repeated read & reread over the years for me.

Amazon's version is not fully faithful to it and you will not care. I found myself nearly unable to separate the book from their version by season 2.

I've had the Mars trilogy on my list for a long time. Currently burrowing through Gibson's latest, The Peripheral. Maybe this summer I read them.

Mister Robot is excellent.

I was absolutely not prepared for how excellent it was. Before S3 dumps I will enjoy the ride all over again and go through S1 & S2.

If you've not seen AMC's Rubicon, track it down. Michael Cristofer is essentially reprising his character from Rubicon in Mr. Robot and it's great -

truxton-spangler-s1-590.jpg

That's because they had Picard continuously surrendering for half the first season; I guess it was their only way to distinguish him from the macho, ego-driven Kirk.

Go figure.

(However, I do think they made up for it in their "creepier" episodes like some of the Borg episodes and Conspiracy)
TOS was a western in space. Real men, sexy women, freedom to make life or death decisions, prime directive notwithstanding, of course.:)

TOS was a western in space. Real men, sexy women, freedom to make life or death decisions, prime directive notwithstanding, of course.:)

Roddenberry's term was "Wagon train to the Stars"
which in its own way, was exactly what Firefly was!

Star Trek Deep Space Nine ( I tend to think of all the various reincarnations as the same TV show...our American counterpart to the long running UK series Dr. Who but of course it is thematically quite different).
Farscape
Battlestar Galactica
The New Doctor Who
Torchwood

So far it even looks like the seasons will be tracking each book. So that would be a six season run ...

Oh ... wait ... make that seven. For now ... Persepolis Rising ended up being postponed because Babylon's Ashes was postponed, but last I heard, it should hit the shelves late 2017 ...

latest

PS ... is it my imagination, or does the Nauvoo (AKA Behemoth AKA Medina Station) look a lot more like the TV series version than it did in the earlier cover art? ;-}

Considering that 1/2 of James SA Corey is a former assistant to George RR Martin, let's just be thankful that they tend to be efficient and on-time writers.

re: UK Sci-Fi, much of the whole Torchwood mess was pretty good watchin'.

Agreed. As with Star Trek, I tend to wrap Doctor Who and its spin-offs into one group for lists like this. Barrowman is always a standout, though. It's good to see him getting more screen time in the Arrowverse again.

Star Trek TOS (for getting thought provoking sf on screen) lumping in Enterprise for its astounding season 3
Babylon 5 for excellence
Battlestar Galactica new (even though it Lost my interest before ending with a whimper)
Dark Matter (interesting premise)
None jump to mind to round out the top five. I will consider further.

I will add one more to my list.

The original Outer Limits all though not all of the episodes where in the strictest sense science fiction they could be quite thought provoking.

I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley, Fresno specifically. We had 3 then 4 TV stations growing up, all UHF, that's it. It was a treat to go visit relatives in SoCal. Not only were there stations on nearly every click of the VHF selector, you could barely turn the UHF dial it was so full. Any time we went south I would insist that my mom get a TV Guide so I could track stuff down. I felt like I'd crossed the desert and found an oasis. At one point I found The Outer Limits and was hooked. I think one of the first I saw was about these ant-like creatures that came from a crashed spaceship. They were very evil and soon exterminated. Turns out they were psychopaths in their own culture but judicial killing was morally reprehensible. So, they basically threw the problem over the wall and let the Earthlings deal with it. Good stuff!

I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley, Fresno specifically. We had 3 then 4 TV stations growing up, all UHF, that's it. It was a treat to go visit relatives in SoCal. Not only were there stations on nearly every click of the VHF selector, you could barely turn the UHF dial it was so full. Any time we went south I would insist that my mom get a TV Guide so I could track stuff down. I felt like I'd crossed the desert and found an oasis. At one point I found The Outer Limits and was hooked. I think one of the first I saw was about these ant-like creatures that came from a crashed spaceship. They were very evil and soon exterminated. Turns out they were psychopaths in their own culture but judicial killing was morally reprehensible. So, they basically threw the problem over the wall and let the Earthlings deal with it. Good stuff!
Who can forget the Zanti??? :banana:

I think I've changed my mind. Just received my Eureka complete series Blu-ray set from Germany, watching it now. THIS is my favorite sci-fi show of all time! :D Somehow I'd forgotten how much I loved this show. (I did get hit by a Mack truck while riding my bike a few years ago, so that may be the reason I forgot haha)

Star Trek (OS and TNG), Fringe, Babylon 5, and I'm really enjoying The Expanse... probably I'm missing severals, Like Jericho

Back
Top Bottom