Fix it or part it out?

Bill

I got this huge Fisher RS-2015 150 WPC receiver off of eBay last year and decided to make a winter project out of it. The problem is that it has all 8 output transistors are shorted along with the drivers. My question is, do I fix it or part it? The cost in parts is going to be high, over $100, as I can not find OEM transistors for it and will have to go with expensive NTE replacements. Would it be worth it? Any thoughts or opinions would be apreaciated.

Bill

Why in the world would you buy expensive NTE transistors??

What is the package style of the originals (or better yet, what ARE the originals?)

Not that hard to sub a tougher, newer transistor for the old ones.

EW, I need 4 2sb697K and 4 2sd733K transistors. They have the TO-3 case. I don't have their specs but I do know I have to have the one with K suffix. The K's have a higher collector current rating than the ones without the K suffix. If you have the specs of these and can cross it to another readily available transistor I would apreaciate it. I have used NTE's many times with good results but at $11 a piece it is a little expensive. Besides, my wife tells me if I spend any more money on my addiction she is going to leave me.;)

Bill

Originally posted by DingusBoy
Unrelated to Bill's original question:

EW, What are YOU doing up this early!
All night battle with Shane's farked-up Marantz PM-6....

Bill...pop a couple of Motorola devices in there...

NPN - MJ15024
PNP - MJ15025

These are 250V 16A 250W(!!) devices. Newark sells 'em for about $3 each.

Edit: BTW Bill, I need to place an order from Newark tonight. They really don't have an appropriate driver transistor (and I don't know what you need anyway) but they should be a lot easier to source. If you are interested in getting the Motorola devices, click my profile and shoot me an email. I will be placing an order this evening, so no hesitation is allowed... :scratch2:

Last edited:
EW, I will give 'em a try. I will let you know how they work. A big thanks. I owe you a cold one.

Bill

i tend to avoid nte subs whenever i have a choice.
too many problems with thier cheap remarked junk.
they got hit with the counterfiet stuff too.
if you get the moto's from a reputable source you should be ok.
never a problem with newark here.

i tend to avoid nte subs whenever i have a choice.
too many problems with their cheap remarked junk.
they got hit with the counterfiet stuff too.
Someone else told me that, and I think it's funny...and also shows why I won't buy their crap. A company like that should be buying only from ISO9000-certified suppliers. This just shows that they will buy from anyone who'll sell them a cheap part, whether the source is questionable or not.

Glad to see you fixing it up. That thing is sweet. I think that most of the Fisher Studio standard stuff is great looking. Not always best sonically, but it looks top notch. I would love to have that unit, let us know how it sounds, maybe it would behoove folks to give those units a try.

Sounds like there were some big-A outputs originally. Yeah, it is best to restore the big guy. It was karma that you scored it (hoepfully inexpensively).
I have a like-new Fisher SS turntable I got new. It served well and fairly long until I got the Denon. I lived in a one-horse town when I wanted a tt, and that Fisher was the best they had.

IME, the Motorola outputs will kick the crap out of the original replacements.

I used MJ15015/16 (?? on the number- can't quite remember... could have been 15011/12? it's the ones Dr. Leach recommended for outputs on his 100w/ch amplifier kit here at Georgia Tech, in any case) to replace the outputs in my Pioneer SX1010, and with a little bias re-adjustment (normal procedure), it's been working great for 10 years since. Cheap, clean, effective... what more to ask for??

Regards,
Gordon.

The RS-2015 you have there has the same output transistors as the Fisher RS-1060 does, though mine dont have the K suffix. Both of my RS-1060s have NEC transistors as the originals. I thought the later ones (with RS-20XX numbers) had gone to all power pack STKs, I guess I was wrong. Don't know how the later ones compared but the 1058 and 1060 are not well known but excellent units. The 1060 weighs 57lbs and is 2 feet wide, power is tremendous and it sounds great too. So good I bought two of them though they are not too easy to find.

Ok, you all talked me into it. I am going to order the Motorola output transistors along with some drivers tomorow. I didn't really want to part it out. It is in real nice shape other than the blown power amp. I need another receiver to add to my collection anyway. I have 20 or so. I confess, I'm an addict. In case anyone is interested I attached a pix of the back with its top off and transistor covers off.

Bill

What sort of power consumption does this unit have? Fisher RS-1060 has 800w max w/ 10 amp power fuse. If thats the case for this unit I wouldn't be surprised if it does closer to 200wpc. The Fisher RS-1058 benched about 155wpc into 8 ohms, it certainly does not have the heft of the bigger units.

yrly, my Fisher RS-2015 has a power consumption rating of 650 watts. However in my 30 or so years of repairing audio, the power consumption rating has no direct relationship with the actual power output of the receiver or amp. There are just to many variables in the design of an amplifier or receiver. Untill someone proves otherwise I will stand by what I just said. As for the Fishers, I believe the early SS ones made in the mid to late 70's were underated. They were good quality and sounding especially the RS-20XX and RS 10XX series. I have never had the pleasure of seeing or hearing the 1058 or 1060 but have seen the 1080 which is one awesome receiver.

Bill

True power draw does not directly equal power output as you could design an inefficient receiver that draws a ton of power with little output. I was more curious to how similar this receiver was to the RS-1060. They share the same outputs, and as I said in a prior post I thought all the RS-20xx series receivers had switched to power pack type modules as opposed to discrete outputs. I was under the assumption that Fisher had cheapened them up a bit compared to the top dogs of the RS-10xx series. The RS-2015 actually looks like Fisher had yet another good one in their underappreciated solid state gear. The RS-1060 is quite similar to the RS-1080 they even share the same case, except it lacks the multipath meter, instead it is replaced by an FM stereo light. The RS-1060 is less powerful, what you would need more power for is beyond me, I have never turned the volume above 1/3 and I feared for my speakers. I have pictures of the RS-1058 (internal and external) over on the component gallery, and one lousy shot of one of my RS-1060s (poor lighting in the cabinet where that one is) before I replaced the meter lights.

yrly, I don't have a clue as to what the 2015 will put out. I do have a RS-2010 receiver which is rated at 100 WPC. I did a quick full power test into a 8 ohm dummy load and it got to a little over 120 watts before it clipped. I also have a CA-276 integrated amp that was made in 1984 that is rated at 150 WPC. It actually did well on the bench. It measured 180 WPC. All into 8 ohms with a 1000 hz test tone. The power consumtion rating on the CA-276 integrated is 700 watts while the consumption on the huge built like a tank 2015 is 650. Go figure?

Bill

yryl - You are right about the RS 2010 (next model down) Look at the cheap construction and STK amplifiers inside this one.

Bill - You got a nice rare one there. The model 2015 is a good one.

This is nuts -
FISHER RCV, RS-2010 w/EQUALIZER
1978 - 1980
Power: 100
MSRP: $600.00

BTW- there is one on the bay right now. Here is a shot of the inside :puke:

Back
Top Bottom