Fix it or part it out?

RocknRoll, I don't know where that photo of a RS-2010 came from. Take a look at the insides of my RS-2010. It still has STK power packs but notice the difference in transformers. Mine has a huge torroidal tranformer where the one in that picture looks like it a came out of a 50 watt receiver. It looks like someone replaced the transformer at one time. My RS-2010 is powerfull and good sounding receiver. IMO STK power packs are good if they are the ones like in my RS-2010 which only contain the output and driver transistors. Some of the later power packs had the complete power amp in one package and I agree some of the later ones were crappy.

Bill

Rock n Roll, Thats is defineately a replacement tranny in that RS-2010. Every one I have seen has the torroidal. The RS-10xx series used conventional trannies but even then they did not look like that. Take a look at my RS-1058 over in the component gallery. Where that tranny came from I could not guess. The really big Fishers have the specs printed on the top of the tranny, that being the RS-1060 and 1080 as well. The RS-10xx series started in 1977 and ran supposedly through 83 last I checked in the Bluebook. The RS-1058 was $550, the RS-1060 $700, I don't recall the 1080 exactly but it might have been $900. The 1058 was probably the closest 10xx model to the 2010, it used discrete outputs rather than STK modules. I myself would rather have the RS-1058 than the 2010 anyway. Of the 20xx series I would certainly want the RS-2015 ;) (more power!). I still say the better model Fishers were equal or better in capability to most of what was out there, they just lack the exposure.

I agree. Bill your 2010 looks alot better. Take a look at this bull - This is a typical listing for one piece of garbage on ebay. item# 3074355972

The receiver in question looks good... cosmetically. Obviously the transformer has been replaced. How it equates to the SX-1050 is beyond me. Two entirely different receivers from two different companies. As far as the 15000uf caps? No big deal there, most of the bigger Fisher receivers had that size and at higher voltages, some stuff has even bigger. Project One Mark 1500, 80V 22000uf caps. Audiograph 2A100 75V 24000uf caps. I won't say the RS-2010 isnt a good receiver, I myself have never used one, but from past experience the big Fisher receivers are good, if unrecognized. As far as that price? Maybe a mint original but certainly not that example. I paid less for any of the Fishers I own. I would certainly hope I could get the RS-2015, 1060 or 1080 for that price though!

I wonder where the relay went on this one? Who needs one of them anyway - more convient just to wire the amplifier section straight to the power supply.

RocknRoll, I looked at the one on eBay and while it looks good it sure as he*l ain't worth what he wants for it. Now if it had the correct transformer, it would be a fair deal. I only gave $40.00 for mine with a blown power pack. The power pack cost around $18.00, so all I got in mine is $58.00 and mine looks justas good in near mint condition. If you are looking for a good Fisher and don't particulary like power pack outputs I suggest you get one like yrly's 1058 or 1060. IMO

Bill

Bill, how quick does the relay kick in after powering it up on the RS-20xx series? I know they click in relatively quick on the RS-1058 and 1060, almost right after power switch is flipped.

Regardging that ebay RS-2010, maybe the person who did this transformer swap job on this ebay one thought it wasnt necessary, unless it was relocated with the swap. How close that tranny even is to the original is a mystery though the specs are printed right on top of the originals so I suppose it is possible to find a suitable match. I dont know how complex the configuration is in the 2010 but on the 10xx ones I have it looks somewhat complex. As far as relays, the most I have ever seen used is in that Audiograph 2A100, it has at least 3 that I know the location of though I suspect there to be 4 (I think there is one connected in case of a speaker short but I can't confirm it because it is hard to get to the inside where it would be). One on the top side for the new amp boards, one on the bottom (what its for I dunno), one is used for the FM stereo indicator light (I can't imagine the older solid state H.H. Scott receivers. which it is based on, did that at the factory, but if they did its news to me). I have a number of older receivers which didnt have relays.

yrly, The relays on my 2010 comes on fairly fast, maybe 2-3 seconds. It has 2 relays but only one is for speaker turn on and protection. The other one, the one that is missing on the one on eBay appears to be some sort of surge protector for the power supply. I don't have a schematic so am not sure exactly what it does. I have not really checked it out but I do know it is not a relay for the speakers. The most relays in any of my stuff is in my Sanyo JCX-2900, which has three, one for each set of speaker terminals. I have 3 or 4 receivers that don't have any relays at all, a Marantz 2230, a Sansui R-70, and a cheap plastic Sharp SAX-35. There appears to be no standard to output protection. I recently repaired a 200 WPC Phase Linear 400 and it did not have any protection relays at all.

Bill

Thanks to EW's output transistor cross reference I finnally got the big Fisher RS-2015 receiver up and running. It took 8 output transistors, 8 drivers, several resistors, diodes and a bias trim pot to get it going. This big Fisher is very powerfull and good sounding, just as good as some of my Sansui gear. Well worth the expense and time to fix. I got about $150 total cost in it including what I give for it to start with. Thanks to all for the encouragment to go ahead with the repair.

Bill

errrr.......what in the world would fry all outputs on both channels? really nice looking unit though, glad to see you working on it rather than donate it to a dumpster:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom