Fixing a power amp module in a Marantz 2325

Discussion in 'Marantz Audio' started by OP Music, May 12, 2017.

1. OP Music

OP Music AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm not sure what a DVM is and I'll be honest, I've never desoldered anything in my life. My Dad has most likely got some decent experience desoldering, I could have him do that part. I don't think I could afford to pay someone at a local business to restore it.

2. Steven Tate

Steven Tate AK Subscriber Subscriber

It's not hard to learn. You need a decent soldering station and some good quality solder (not lead free). I'm sure you can find some tutorials online. Get your hands on a couple of scrap circuit boards and practice removing and reinstalling components. Mainly, don't run too hot, don't keep the heat on the board more than about 3 seconds, and you should be fine.

Here is a great thread on what you need to do audio repair work by Echowars. You don't need the first two items on his list to get started. But the rest of his list is worth paying attention to.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....udio-gear-eh-heres-the-tools-you-need.333423/

3. wlhd1610

wlhd1610 Penny and her new friend Subscriber

Maybe your best bet is to carefully unsolder the wires from the power supply board,unplug the two amp modules and send them to a tech who can rebuild them for you .

That way you're spared from damaging foil traces ,etc until you gain more experience.
    I think you've already been in contact with one of the nicest and most knowledgeable ones around.
    Then you can do the simpler stuff yourself for now.
    Like lamp replacement,cleaning/deoxing of controls,etc.

Bob

runningdog likes this.