Fixing broken Ft end tuning pot....

KutzlerTrans

Jennie & I with Buddy and Barney.
I did a quick recap on my 2270 yesterday and i flipped it over to get the bottom boards and a tuning slug fell out.
I popped the cover off the ft end and the top side of a pot was cracked off leaving no way to hold the slug it place.
So this is what i did.

I found a piece of shrink tube that the slug just barely fit into and pushed the slug into it.
Then i cut it about 3/16 longer than the slug at the other end and heated it just long enough to slightly taper shrink the end.

Then i pushed it into the busted of pot. As it went in The shrink wrap seated on three ribs that were molded into the ID of the pot.

The slug then was adjustable again.

Attachments

• DSC03098.JPG
    DSC03098.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03099.JPG
    DSC03099.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03097.JPG
    DSC03097.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03095.JPG
    DSC03095.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
I did a quick recap on my 2270 yesterday and i flipped it over to get the bottom boards and a tuning slug fell out.
I popped the cover off the ft end and the top side of a pot was cracked off leaving no way to hold the slug it place.
So this is what i did.

I found a piece of shrink tube that the slug just barely fit into and pushed the slug into it.
Then i cut it about 3/16 longer than the slug at the other end and heated it just long enough to slightly taper shrink the end.

Then i pushed it into the busted of pot. As it went in The shrink wrap seated on three ribs that were molded into the ID of the pot.

The slug then was adjustable again.
Now that's a handy trick !! I assume it's working now ?

The seat of my pants:D

I used the signal meter. Its not a perfect way of doing it, but it was the antenna tuner and it worked fine.
It brings in stations better than it used to. That slug must have been laying like that since the day i got it.

Stations never did come in good. It needs an alignment i'm sure, but i am going to replace it with a 20b tuner after i recap the 20b and send it to Mr Buckner in Arizona for a professional tuning.

Last edited:
Attaway John - proud of you! BYW, it's not a pot but a variable inductor. I only mention it in the interest of education, not to pick on you. Great fix for sure! I just cracked the side out of one of these the other day on a 2270. These boys are getting old!!

Attaway John - proud of you! BYW, it's not a pot but a variable inductor. I only mention it in the interest of education, not to pick on you. Great fix for sure! I just cracked the side out of one of these the other day on a 2270. These boys are getting old!!

Who ya' callin' old...

Good fix and should work just fine. I'm assuming it's not the original slug? Or it was adjusted so much the "threads" in the tube went away?

Hey Conrad, yes it was the original. There was a piece of the side that was laying there like it was split out, but there wasnt enough there to be complete.
No telling were the rest of it was because it was sheared off all the way around. The parts must be in the receiver somewhere.
I was too lazy to look for them.
Btw, your capacitor articles are pretty interesting to read.
Lots to absorb, but i was wondering why polycarbonate capacitors fell by the wayside??

Back
Top Bottom