1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Fixing up a Yamaha T-1

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by Drum, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Drum

Drum Active Member

I really like the performance of my t-80, but I wanted something with that analog glow, so I grabbed a T-1 that needed some work. Bonus is the green and black goes well with my Onkyo M504,

I have replaced the bulbs and painted the tuning and signal strength indicators (came out well I thought), but the meters themselves have a few issues. The center tune is not centered. It is off to the right when the strength is highest (and station sounds best). The signal strength also jumps around a lot. Does anybody have experience in fixing these issues?

Also the tuning dial is off a bit - can I just slide the tuning string to get the indicator in the right place, or is there a better method for this?

Pic of the "center" point of the meter.

IMG_1003.jpg

avionic likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

Hello Drum

1) is your "FM TUNING" indicator is in the center when you switch the power off ?
    2) if yes , please put your "stations indicator" aligned with the 0 at the beginning of the dial scale, without any antenna connected to the T1, and see when you switch the power on , if the needle is in the center or not

3. Drum

Drum Active Member

No. When the power is off the indicator is to the right, though not quite as much as what the true center tune appears to be.

Thanks,

4. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

So , your trouble is a simple mechanical problem
    once you have the meter in hand, just adjust the zero position and put your meter back in your T1

5. Drum

Drum Active Member

OK - I can do that. Thanks.

Does the signal strength generally jump around a lot on these? It seems to be constantly moving.

6. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

It's going to move some, even on local stations. Mine did, at least, but large variations might be a problem.
    BTW, loved my M504, at least until it blew up. Quite the amp.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Drum

Drum Active Member

It is mostly settled on the local stations moving from about 60 to 65 fairly gently. It jumps about twice that much on some of the weaker stations. Sounds like this is pretty normal, so I won't worry.

What happened to the M504 - got me worried now.

8. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Yeah, I think you're looking at a real time view of propagation. The T-1 is a
    very good tuner, very much overshadowed by its big brother the T-2, though.

Lost a channel on the M504, and I had enough information to know I wouldn't
    be able to diagnose and fix it. So I let it go. But it was a thrift store orphan, and
    I didn't know its history.

9. bennybee

bennybee Active Member

The signal strength meter on my T2 does jump around a lot too on most stations. I think it has to do with multipath reception (bad reception due to a less than optimal position of my antenna).

10. rcs16

rcs16 Super Member

Seems to be a standard technique that yamaha uses, which is to sum the IF signal level detector with some of the detected audio through a noise filter and feed it to the meter or threshold detector for led/lcd ckts.