1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Flac , Wav (OR) CD ?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by niamatk, Jul 13, 2017.

1. niamatk

niamatk New Member

Flac , Wav (OR) CD ? for music .

2. nyhifihead

nyhifihead Well-Known Member

both FLAC and WAV are lossless audio formats, FLAC is compressed and WAV isn't

CD's are just WAV in PCM form

IME there is 0 difference between a FLAC, WAV, or ripped CD (WAV) of the same file/song

you start to lose fidelity when you use lossy codecs (mp3 etc). Just because FLAC is compressed doesn't mean it loses fidelity, it is a lossless format.

3. benricci

benricci Active Member

It's all identical in the end, all things being equal (bit depth/sampling rate).

4. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

True, there is very little if any audible difference between FLAC and WAV. Where the differences lie are in the size of the file (FLAC is lossless compression) and the metadata. When a CD is ripped to FLAC most rippers automatically add the associated metadata for the selection. WAV files have no option for this and any metadata is in a "sidecar" file.

IME/O ripping to FLAC makes more sense than ripping to WAV. I don't do MP3 files or any lossy compression.

5. MuchoReverbo

MuchoReverbo New Member

Ditto.

Once you go FLAC.......... you won't ever want to go back.

lol

6. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

7. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

I rip all my CDs to FLAC for reasons already stated. If I want to load music on something that doesn't do lossless it's easy to set up Foobar2000 to resample to MP3. Not so easy to go the other way :) Using WAV for archiving just wastes space and doesn't support as much metadata.