Flashing Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'Wheels, Wings, Mud, and Water' started by Bassblaster, Jan 29, 2018.

1. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I think Chrysler smallblock is the same as Chevy smallblock for firing order. 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 if so.

if the cap refuses to come off, you could always just smash it, mark the rotor position, then remove the distributor to fix it.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Bassblaster

Bassblaster Super Member

Plug wires were wrong. flipped them around and now its running worlds better. haven't done the O2 sensor yet.

3. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

oh.gif

4. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man Subscriber

that would do it . :D

5. kirk57

kirk57 Some guy on the Internet Subscriber

I bought an ODB II reader for something like $30 and its already paid for itself many times over.
    Example: BMW E46 running rough, check engine light on. I plug in reader, it says it’s cylinder 5.
    I swap cyclinder 5 and 6 ignition coils, then reader says cylinder 6 misfiring. I buy 1 new ignition coil.

Problem fixed, and I was able to drive the car while waiting for the part to arrive. Great tool to have!

6. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

Looks like you got it...but was going to say...

You replaced plugs a while back and now have misfire codes. Double-check what was last worked on.

petehall347 likes this.

7. petehall347

i change one at a time . or tag the leads if not already tagged .

dosmalo and beat_truck like this.
  8. petehall347

or of course remember the firing order and rotation of distributor . and where number 1 is located or at least should be . in know straight sixes . 153624 . its the v8 engines i cant remember . is it evens lefts odds right ?

9. GuyK

GuyK Addicted Member

For many v-8 motors, yes, one bank is even and the other odd. But I seem to recall that years ago Ford decided to number one of their engines 1-2-3-4 on one bank and 5-6-7-8 on the other. Other Ford motors were numbered more conventionally. It gives me a headache.

petehall347 likes this.
  10. gadget73

Chrysler and GM are odd/even. Ford is 1-4, 5-8. Depends which end of the motor you're looking at if it makes sense. GM/Chrysler will have the con rods numbered 1-8 on the crank journals if you have the oil pan off. Fords are paired 1/5, 2/6, etc on the crank.

Also, Ford being Ford, #1 is on the opposite side as GM has it.

11. arts

arts Super Member

Believe me,Bosch ain't what it once was,and when it gets to the point where you can't even make a decent bloody spark plug......

If you replace an O sensor (or any other electrical part) on a Mopar with another Bosch,you're just gonna be replacing it again real soon. If you think the OE part was a piece of shite,the aftermarket Bosch is even worse!!

12. petehall347

was 30 years ago i had 3 out of 8 plugs bad ... i swear by their blue power tools but spark plugs is a big no for me.

13. gadget73

Only thing I ever ran their plugs in was the VW, it wanted Bosch Super only.

Dunno, seems like all the stuff that used to be good isn't so much. At some point I'll need to replace the nozzles on my diesel injectors and I have read that the Bosch parts for those Bosch injectors are not the preferred ones.

14. dosmalo

dosmalo T-Totaled Subscriber

I used to have an '85 Volvo 740 that nine out of ten parts that made up that car were Bosch.
    They might as well called it a "Bosch 740."o_O
    Not a bad car, but.....

15. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

All of my experiences with Bosh plugs have been BAD, too. I'd rather run worn original plugs than replace them with Bosch.:biggrin: