Flattening warped records

jaaani

Ive read that to flatten warped records is nearly impossible. I bought a couple of records that need flattening. How do you all flatten wavy lp's?

I was thinking of doing the record sandwiched between two sheets of glass then into the oven at 125 degrees for a short period of time. It does sound barbaric to me has ayone done it this way with success?

I always used a label size record clamp when playing warped records. Most always, it would reduce the amount of warp to an acceptable level. I also like having a TT mat that has an indentation for the label area, but is otherwise flat (no ridges).

Originally posted by jaaani
I was thinking of doing the record sandwiched between two sheets of glass then into the oven at 125 degrees for a short period of time.

I read a variation of this tip many years ago in an electronics magazine. They suggested placing the record between two heavy pieces of glass, and then letting it sit out in the sun. Something about the plastic heating up without the glass getting hot, or something. :dunno:

Paula

Best thing I found for flattening vinyl is a belt sander. The bigger the better ! If anyone would like a demo just drop by with your vinyl and I will be more then happy to teach you.

Thanks to Grumpy for the inspiration!

Originally posted by House de Kris
Best thing I found for flattening vinyl is a belt sander. The bigger the better ! If anyone would like a demo just drop by with your vinyl and I will be more then happy to teach you.

Thanks to Grumpy for the inspiration!

Funny I use this same tweak to make my ceedee's sound better. Only thing is I use a Wire wheel brush instead. Makes em even shinnier

I have read on other sites about some who have had good sucess with the glass method. There is even a machine that will flatten em for you now but it cost some serious money.

Like Celt my clamp eliminates all but the
Nastiest of warps.

Grumpy

Kris, dammit, my monitor's got coffee all over it thanks to you ! Belt sander, indeed! LOL !! That got the morning started off right !! Hot tip: 78s make good practise for skeet shooting ! PULL ! HehHehHeh....-Sandy G.

1. Set the record on a soft towel on the centerline of a two-lane road in rural New Mexico.

2. Put a little heap of birdseed on it and stick a little sign that says "free birdseed" into the pile.

3. The roadrunner will eat all the seed, the coyote will run out after him and a huge boulder will flatten the coyote on top of the record. The coyote's hide will keep the record from getting scratched by the boulder.

4. Peel off the coyote and play the record.

Believe it or not, long time ago I used a regular clothes iron and placed the record between some heavy cloth. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, I would usually get it somewhat better than it was. Definitely not recommended unless all other suggestions fail. After you lathe it down a few thousands of an inch it could be your only option...LOL.

It's possible the recording might be transcribed to the coyote when the boulder flattens him-kinda like offset printing or when you put a piece of Silly Putty on a nickel. Wonder what noise reduction techniques we'd need to get the coyote to sound right? Maybe all records transcribed in this manner might end up sounding like accordians? Interesting possibilities...<grin>-Sandy G.

The transfer will only play cleanly if the coyote first blows aoff all his fur in an explosives mishap, because otherwise the stylus will skip on the heairs. Fortunately, the coyote's history with explosives shows this is highly probable.

Whisky, you have a point, but most of the time the coyote is fairly well singed in his numerous encounters w/explosives, & most of the hair would simply fall off. However there are various products to remove hair-Nair, Neet, etc, so this shouldn't prove to be much of an impediment. A more serious problem wouild be getting the coyote to revolve fairly constantly at 33.3 RPM on a suitable platter. however, I'm sure the folks at Acme Research & Development Co. are working feverishly on this problem. They've never failed us before...-Sandy G.

This works

Get two sheets of HEAVY glass - I'm talking 10mm thick minimum - you need the weight.
Place the disc between the glass and sit it outside in the sun for a while.
This will fix 95% of all warps.
Bear in mind that this can cause problems with tracking when playing back, as the grooves could have become distorted when the disc first warped.

But, if the disc is that far gone, then you have nothing to lose by trying to flatten it.

If this method fails, you can always reverse over it a few times with the car, usually works for all the stubborn LPs...

LPs! YOu guys and your new-fangled technology!

Everyone knows wax cylinders have more warmth, and sound much more lifelike than the cold and uncompromising LP!

whiskey-

Sorry to report that the grooves of the album would be ridges on the coyote and the ridges on the record would be the grooves on the coyote producing a groove with one wall from the outside groove and one wall from the inside groove. I am not sure how this will sound and plus the vibrations will be inverse sound waves of the original recordings. Will probably sound something like Yoko Ono tunes so I don't think the effort would be any where near worth it.

:)

Bo

I agree the vinyl between the glass works well. had done it a few years ago. For overcast days might want to try a heatgun or hairdryer on the glass.

Oven process is best for backcoated tapes for the Scotch and Ampex produced in the 80's which has dried out.

You other people are whacked.... keep it up!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom