Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham

They've hired Mike Campbell, formerly of The Heartbreakers for lead guitar and Neil Finn, formerly of Crowded House for vocals and second guitar.

I think it’s a testament to Lindsay Buckingham’s talent and virtuosity that they need two top notch guitarists to replace him. However, If you look at my avitar, it’s plain to see who I put at the top of the Fleetwood Mac list of lead guitarists!

I'd rather see Manilow at Branson. If you're gonna go down the slippery yuppie slope then at least have the excuse that you're being ironic.

How many tours have they done in the last decade? And how many recordings have they released in the same period. I only saw them once in the mid '70s, so this really is no big deal to me.

Given the chops of lots of tribute bands and studio musicians, lots of iconic guitarists can be adequately replaced. Hell, The Grateful Dead found a couple of guys who do good enough Jerry licks, Lindsay Buckingham shouldn't be too tough. Some of the older Green/Spencer/Kirwan stuff might even come into play.

I doubt I'll be dropping the $200+ or better for seats regardless...

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks they only had one great album is totally overlooking the 1975 self-titled album (the first one with Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks - often referred to as the white album). Rumours had the monster hits, but in many ways,the white album was a "better" album that showed off the bands individual talents to a greater degree.

I saw them live five years ago and they put on a tremendous show. The highlight of the show was I'm so Afraid, which has always been a staple of their live performances. Lindsay Buckingham was not just the lead guitarist on so many of their most well known songs, he was also their only male vocalist from the mid-70s to the mid-80s - the height of their popularity. Even if they hire two great guitarists to replace him, I can't imagine anyone else singing the lead vocals on I'm so Afraid, Don't Stop, Go Your Own Way, The Chain, etc.

I'm very glad I saw them live when I did.

Back
Top Bottom