Floating shelf and album bookends.

spelingchamp

My wife and I recently moved, and I have an 'unbalanced' wall where the audio equipment sits. Unfortunately, the window and vent are the main reason for this layout (it was the only possibility in the room). Since I have nowhere to put my albums (just over 100), I'm thinking of going with floating shelves. The gap between the curtain and the left speaker is about 19-20 inches, and the optimum placing will be OFF the floor.

I'm thinking that a 24 inch shelf somewhere just over the left speaker, and an 18 inch shelf between the speaker and curtain would be fine. I found here on AK, that 50 albums weigh roughly 30 lbs, so I'll have to utilize studs to handle the loads. That shouldn't pose too much problem, but finding something to handle the weight might be a problem. Has anyone ever conquered this type of scenario before?

The other part of my dilemma is.. if the floating shelves work out, any recommendations on what to use for album bookends?

Thanks!
LR Wall.jpg

Welcome to AK. I have not put a lot of weight on shelves. That has potential to put a lot of strain on the fasteners/stud threads. Assume you would use multiple lag type bolts. Find near center each stud. Possibly 45 degree supports above and below shelf so you get more bolts to share/disperse load. Top supports could double as bookends and be record sized. I would use two studs. Location and shelf lenght dependent on where you locate studs and whether 16" or 24" centers. Just my opinion.
In the Member Systems section there is a very long thread titled "Pics of your Listening Space". If you have time to kill, you could try brousing there. Maybe you could happen on some storage ideas. I recently saw a members record shelves pics, but don't know how to find at moment.
And do search record storage, record shelves etc.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK. I have not put a lot of weight on shelves. That has potential to put a lot of strain on the fasteners/stud threads. Assume you would use multiple lag type bolts. Find near center each stud. Possibly 45 degree supports above and below shelf so you get more bolts to share/disperse load. Top supports could double as bookends and be record sized. I would use two studs. Location and shelf lenght dependent on where you locate studs and whether 16" or 24" centers. Just my opinion.
In the Member Systems section there is a very long thread titled "Pics of your Listening Space". If you have time to kill, you could try brousing there. Maybe you could happen on some storage ideas. I recently saw a members record shelves pics, but don't know how to find at moment.
And do search record storage, record shelves etc.
Good luck.
I'll check out the post for anything that might be applicable to my situation. I have found a place online that sell metal braces for studs, but the place that manufacturers and sells them has not replied to my email. Thanks

These are pretty spendy, but if you could build them yourself, they might be a good solution.

https://www.teebooks.net/vinyl-reco...et-of-4.html?gclid=CO-oudH27dECFQkEaQodyC8FaA
Thanks! Looks cool.. looks workable. While I believe in the free market system, I'm afraid there might be a misplaced decimal there. I guess it all depends on how bad I want it. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom