Flooring in a Listening Room

Discussion in 'Listening Spaces' started by Smitty43, Mar 25, 2018.

1. 70'sAudio

70'sAudio Where it All Started for Me Subscriber

@Smitty43 , @gmc , @CLB3 : Great Listening Rooms........All Very Nice.

I'm still working on My Room 15' x 25' I'm Thinking about using High Impact Rubber Flooring. :idea:
    [​IMG]

,Mike. :smoke:

Smitty43 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

Hard wood floors, large Persian rug, and a hairy white sound absorber that is easily moved. :)
    [​IMG]

Smitty43, motorstereo and lokerola like this.
  3. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

CLB3 is that a sub I see in the left corner? I'm quite fond of adding a sub or 2 to 2 channel stereo.

lokerola likes this.
  4. lokerola

lokerola AK Subscriber Subscriber

FrostEOne - How do you like those SVS subs? I'm running a single Dayton sub in my system and I'm about to add a second one. They Dayton's sound great for what they are (cheap), but I've dreamed of getting a few SVS subs.

5. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

Iokerola, I really like the SVS SB2000 subs, their sealed box like my Yamahas, meld in very well, quite musical, Regarding second sub, I could never do with a single again, I'm truly amazed at what they add to stereo. SVS offers 45 day risk free returns, they even pay return shipping, it was a no-brainer to try them. Keeping them!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 6:30 AM
    lokerola likes this.
  6. lokerola

Nice! I'm looking forward to getting my second sub hooked up. They're not SVS's, but they'll hold me over for a while. Thanks!

7. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

I'm sure you'll like having 2 subs, may I ask how you're hooking them up?
    Originally I was wired at HI speaker level, amp to sub crossovers, then to yamahas.
    SVS urged me to connect subs to second set of outputs on preamp, leaving the yamahas connected directly to amp.
    Tried this with old subs before purchasing SVS, improvement for sure.
    Highly prefer this, allows the yamahas to do all they can unlimited, easier to blend in subs as well.

8. lokerola

As a matter of a fact, that's how I plan on hooking them up. I have a new Parasound 2100 preamp on the way and it has 2 sub outs. My plan was to go from the Parasound sub-outs to each sub (2 separate cables, not a Y cable,) then have the amp connected to the speakers only. I've never hooked up subs this way, so I'm a bit nervous my dual sub plan won't sound as good as I'm hoping.

But that's good to hear that you've got it connected this way and it's working for you!

9. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

I've been running my subs this way for over a month, never once have I even considered changing back to Hi level wiring.

lokerola likes this.
  10. lokerola

Nice!

11. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

I just took at look at the Parasound 1200 preamp, interesting that it has main out and Hi Pass out (above 80Hz) plus the sub outs.
    I'd like to mention you should feed both the left and right inputs on the subs, either wyes at sub outs of preamp with L&R cables or my preference single cable to each sub with wye connecting to both left and right on sub.

12. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

I just checked out the Dayton sub-800, my first set of subs had similar frequency specs, Cerwin-Vega 15S http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/subwoofers/xls-15s.html
    You should seriously consider "true" subs (20Hz or lower), very noticeable difference.
    The Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer goes down to 25Hz.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018 at 11:13 AM
  13. lokerola

Yea, these are not "true" subs. I'll keep putting pennies in the bank for SVS's. :)

Here's a screenshot of the Parasound owners manual. I was planning on using the regular sub outs, not the hi pass sub outs. I was going to run a cable from each sub-out to each sub, individually.

Although there is also the "hi pass" output option for when you're using "small" speakers (according to the owner's manual). My EPI 500's are not small - they're 3 way's with 10" woofers. That's why I was thinking the regular sub out would be best, but maybe I should try the hi pass instead?

It seems the regular sub outs are dual mono outputs, and the hi pass are stereo. Hmmm......I guess I'll just try both and see what sounds best.

subouts2.png

14. canton

canton Active Member

Nice set up and like the floors hope to do mine that way one day. Got some good looking speakers there.
    Canton

15. canton

canton Active Member

16. canton

canton Active Member

17. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

subouts2.png

lokerola likes this.
  18. lokerola

Good idea, thanks.

Sorry listening room OP - we derailed this with subwoofer hookup discussions. Back your regularly scheduled program.

Smitty43 likes this.
  19. FrostEOne

FrostEOne New Member

Listening room OP. I apologize as well.
    Sorry

Smitty43 likes this.
  20. Smitty43

Smitty43 AK Subscriber Subscriber

No apologies needed and I still need to do the flooring in my room. Just got too much going on now.