Fluctuating Volume Cambridge Audio Azure 640c V1

silversport

I am having an experience listening to music that has me puzzled...the volume when listening to CDs on my Cambridge Audio Azure 640c V1 seems to get quieter and then grow louder on it's own...

I have the Cambridge hooked up through analog connections to my Nakamichi TA/2A that has had no freshening since I bought it in 1989 or thereabouts...through Klipsch RB-5 IIs...

Listening to a CD the volume seemed to get quieter and after a bit raised back up to its normal volume...I thought this must be the receiver but I changed out the CD player first and listening for a bit...no change in volume...then I tried listening to the radio section...no change in volume...

I thought perhaps it was just me as I was getting ready to head out when I had heard it initially and hooked the Cambridge back up to the Nakamichi...different CD and listened for a bit and it did it again...volume dropped then after a song it returned to the regular volume I had it set for...

any ideas???...I guess I am thinking this is a CD player problem but maybe someone here has had this issue and knows where I can look???...I have no diagnostic tools nor do I possess the knowledge to diagnose and repair this myself...

I am listening to the CD player right now and for the last few songs...no change in volume...I had been listening to the Tuner section for the last hour and a half and no change in volume there either...

Bill

The player may have a muting relay that needs to be cleaned or replaced. The other thing to check is the solder joints on the output jacks. A cracked solder joint can cause this problem. See if it is both channels or just one with the problem.

thanks for your response...I will look at what you posted...it does appear to be both channels and so far today I have been unable to recreate the problem...I found one speaker negative connection loose but the sound loss appeared to be in both channels so I doubt that's it and looking here and further on the errornet I have been unable to find anyone with the Cambridge who has experienced this particular issue.

I don't use this system as much as my main system and it could be dusty and/or the connecting cables but it would seem to me it if it was that it wouldn't affect both channels at the same time...

'Preciate the response and you give me some things to check...thanks again,

Bill

I see nothing that appears to be different than the rest...currently it is operating as it should...I might suspect that this will return but after a couple more days, I can't get it to duplicate the issue nor does this particular CD misbehave in another system so I would rule out the CD itself however unlikely...

I thank you for your response and will continue to monitor this dr*audio...

Bill

it may be the Nakamichi TA-2A...unmodified since new in 1989 or thereabouts...listening to WFMT Classical this morning and either the announcer and some music passages are getting louder then softer it is the Nak...

I'm listening to the music now on another system to see if this is a station thing or in fact is the Nak...I lack the skills for updating the Nak but may be able to get it serviced somewhere in suburban ChicagoLand...

Bill

Last edited:
I know it's only been 36 minutes but listening now to the same station using a Tube set up in the same room I am so far not hearing any fluctuation in sound volume...

The Nak is nearly 30 years old...time for some refreshening if I still want to use it...I can set it aside for now until I decide the route I want to take...'preciate the help dr*audio

Bill

Back
Top Bottom