FM Antenna Newb

mfrench

Addicted Member
OK,... So its been like 40 years since I gave a darn about radio signal. Its also pretty well been that long since I lived within range of most FM stations; mostly long distances from the station, and, living at the bottom of deep canyons that prevent signal. My latest place is what I call a radio free zone, as there is very little reception that I can get (and none that I want to listen to).
All of that, until a couple of weeks ago. At that time, a new station emerged. KPRI
KPRI, which is what they refer to as Res Radio, or, Reservation Radio. It is a small low wattage broadcast intended for the residents of the Pala Indian Reservation, which is a small area within a deep canyon.

I'm loving what I hear on this station. I can hear it when I'm near the Hwy 76 corridor (the Pala Res. corridor), and I can hear it right up to my driveway. But, as soon as you enter my driveway, you get some religious x'tian broadcast station schlock.

The main highway towards my place runs along a ridge that separates two river drainage canyons. To the south of this ridge is the radio station. To the north of this ridge is my place. I'm just barely lower than the ridge itself, but it seems like I'm just a few feet lower than the broadcast signal.

I tried hooking up the basic supplied-with-the-rc'vr antenna, but not much improvement.

So, are there any off the shelf, affordable FM antenna that are worth a darn?

many thanks for the help.

Hi Mike,

Below is the RF signal strength contour (per the FCC, although conditions at the very local level can have an impact).

Note that you are outside of even the fringe RF level (if I have your basic location correct).

upload_2018-4-30_10-55-15.png

What you are experiencing is what is know as the capture effect (capture ratio) of an FM signal. A tuner will lock on to the strongest signal and ignore the weaker signals. Depending on the tuner/receiver being used this difference can be a low a 1 dB or so. That is the tuner/receiver locks onto the signal that is 1 dB or so stronger.

You need to make your station of choice several dB stronger than your unwanted station. If both stations are in the same direction from your location, this can be somewhat difficult.

You did not specify the unwanted station. What is its call sign? It is in the same direction as your desired station (KPRI)? This can be important in choosing your antenna.

This will help determine what will constitute a better antenna for your application.

@I LIKE MUSIC
Wow! Thanks for that. I'm right between the "R" in Rainbow, and the "k" in Fallbrook, if you were to draw a diagonal line between them. We like to relate to Rainbow, but, Fallbrook is the areas city support services area.
There is an east/west line there that forms the upper part of a small arrowhead-like area. We are at the northern edge of that road. Yes, just barely out of range.

Yes, KPRI is the call sign. And it actually stands for the tribal name, I guess; Kupa Pala Reservation Indians 91.3 KPRI
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPRI

The mix of music has just been wonderful.

Last edited:
There have been some people faced with the same problem who used a passive reradiator. A receiving antenna is placed on the ridge at the entry to your driveway facing the station you want and high enough to get a decent signal (and if you get it on your car, that doesn't have to be very high). It is connected to another antenna which reradiates the signal towards your house. Since it is passive, it does not get any FCC scrutiny. BTW we used to have an AVRN (Aboriginal Voices Radio Network) station in the Toronto area where I am and the music was great - an eclectic playlist (if they had such a thing as a playlist) with a lot of excellent artists, both native and others. but they eventually sold out to a country music station and that is not going to get any ear time from me.

The receiving antenna and the reradiating antenna can be directional and I have seen rhombic antennas used for both receive and transmit. Even a passive long-wire reflector could get an adequate result and save you the two antennas and cabling.

OK,... forgive me if this is the stupidest thing I've ever thought. And if I have any chance of altering the space time continuum by doing so, please, LMK,...

OK,... stupid thought about to be expressed,... forewarned,...
Right outside my music room is a two car steel garage, and an additional steel carport on the side.
Can I attach a couple of zip cord leads to the garage and have it act like an antenna?

@amptramp
I'm going to need to study on that for a spell. thanks!

try the zipchord to your garage. if that does not work try this on a big pole away from the metal building use coax...

http://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2460/outdoor-fm-antenna-four-element/dp/97W3565
97W3565.jpg

A decent beam/directional antenna on a pole pointed towards the station would probably be the best thing to try as far as FM is concerned. It also appears that they do internet streaming so you could potentially do an aux setup and stream it if you have semi decent internet.

Thanks again, all!
I've been doing a bit of research on this. I might try a simple DIY Dipole made with some copper pipe, and PVC fittings for insulation between them.
The wife,... she grew up with a father who was a Ham, and marine radio guy. As soon as I made mere mention of antenna, she shut that down, not liking the arrays that her dad flew. So, it will need to be a subtle approach.
With that thought, I might be able to rig a dipole attached to the facia of my house, if I need to go external. My music room also has a window directly under the peak point of the roof, which, as happens, is also fairly close to aligning to the signal from the station as well. So I might be able to make something to fit that window.

Options and theories emerging as I learn.

Back
Top Bottom