FM Antenna Signal Issue SX-1280

timestar

I recently moved my SX-1280 downstairs and re-ran the remainder (extra cable was just coiled up) of the antenna cable another 30 ft. to reconnect. The cable was inserted through the wall and connected to the previous short cable connected to the 75 ohm slot on the Pioneer. FM signal was working fine upstairs. Now, all I get is static and -0- FM signal. Could it be the additional 30 ft run that's the problem? Btw, I also re- stripped the short wire that is connected to the 75 ohm. I can't remember if the silver braided part of the wire has to be removed??

Are you using this?

s-l300.jpg

Is the new length of coax suitable for low loss FM? You do need to connect both the shield and center.

Is the new length of coax suitable for low loss FM? You do need to connect both the shield and center.

Not sure the new length is for low loss FM. The whole cable is one piece....no cable added, just used the entire length. I will redo the wire to the 75 ohm connection and leave the silver shield to see if that helps. Isn't there some type of antenna/cable booster?

Robert

That's a bit odd. I can actually short out my antenna terminals and still get poor reception of stronger signals. Is it possible that something happened to the 1280 in the move? Stick a simple dipole on it and see if it still works.

Conrad, thanks for your replies. I re-stripped the cable end leaving the silver shield. Now, no signal. Obviously the silver shield is touching the metal holder. When I stripped off the shield and reconnected, I get one FM station that is fairly strong. Odd that I never stripped the shield part when the 1280 was upstairs and I got more stations. Nothing happened to the 1280 when I carried it downstairs. Btw, we live in the NC mountains so reception is not good. One other thing. I have a brass connector between the cable end (female connector) and the short cable piece (male) that goes to the 75 connection on the 1280, but that is how it had been set up since I installed the outdoor antenna 3+ years ago. I think I will pick up a new cable and move the antenna closer to the house to see if that helps.

It appears "I re-stripped the cable end leaving the silver shield. Now, no signal" and "When I stripped off the shield and reconnected, I get one FM station" that the coaxial cable is providing most of the reception.

When the silver shield is connected, the coaxial cable functions as a conduit for the signal, and in general doe not pick up or receive any of the signal. When the silver shield is not connected, the coaxial cable can act as an antenna, although not necessarily a good antenna.

Something may have changed when you moved the coaxial cable, maybe an issue with the the connectors used to connect the long and short cables.

It will be a process of elimination.

Remember that it is all about the strength and quality of the signal where it is being received. Some may be able to receive a signal with the antenna inputs shorted, but that has no direct bearing on your situation and is not necessarily odd.

In terms of moving your antenna, changing the location of an antenna even a small amount may have a fairly large impact on reception quality. The first thing to do is to verify that there are no problems with you feed line (coaxial cable) and any and all connections.

Your current antenna location may be a good location in terms of reception and moving it may degrade your reception, or not depending on your particular situation. The point is you could move your antenna, repair any issues with the feed line and connections and end up with poorer reception. Make sure every thing is working correctly before experimenting with antenna location and orientation.

Thanks guys!!

Zebulon1, I apologize about my comment on the 75 to 300 transformer part you pictured. Actually, I had not seen one of those before and thought it was not applicable in my situation. Now I wonder if that would help?? Amazon has them but ratings are not too good. Radio Shack closed here.

I will check the cable connections, as well as the short cable. Being in the mountains it is hard to get good FM signals regardless.

Robert

If you are going to use new coax, RG-6/U or equiv or better is preferred over RG-59/U
Connecting the coax straight into the sx-1280 is a bit better than using the 75/300 balun as it has a bit of loss. There is another balun inside the 1280 also.

I did not realize the 1280 has a balun inside. The mystery for me is why the signal worked with the receiver upstairs and with the cable's braided silver wire partly down in the clamp. Now it cannot be touching it, or no signal. So, I connected the pin onto the screw from the bottom up and get a couple of stations. Really odd.

Balun transformers have an inherent signal loss. It may range from less than 0.5 dB (a very small amount) to several dB (a fairly large amount) depending on the particular transformer. It is just one more thing with additional loss for the signal to pass through.

That said, it is possible for a number of technical reasons for it to improve reception. It will not hurt to give one a try but do not be surprised it it does not help.

It's possible that the antenna wire is close to an 120VAC line when you ran it thru the wall. That can mess with your signal.

Back
Top Bottom