FM sensitivity & long distance FM station

blinky

I live in the middle of the CA. desert with mountains on all for sides. I just moved here. I can't get fm stations very good. The fm stations fade in and out or sometimes i can all most get them but can't. The people that live here say i need a stereo receiver with extremely good fm sensitivity and power for long distance fm stations. I've been told to get everything from a Pioneer SX 950, Kenwood KR 6050, Marantz 2285b and a Harman Katdon 730. I can't buy them all just to test them. Can some one help me with a couple ( 2 OR 3) brands and model's that they know will work. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

I'm useing a Radio Shack roof top fm antenna pointed to the southern mountains where the re-lay tower is. The re-lay tower is between me and Los Angeles, where the radio stations are. The re-lay tower changes the fm radio stations number, like in Los Angeles it my be 101, but when i get it's 106. If i do get fm 106 it my change on me to 104 and fade in and out. I know nobody takes care of the tower and the weather is doing a job on it. It's private land and say's " KEEP OUT".
Thank You

Hello Blinky

I second Grumpy - get a separate tuner and a GOOD one. :withstpd:

Here is a great page with info on tuners.

TUNER INFO

Chris

A more sensitive receiver may help but we would need to know more about what you are using and your expectations. It sounds like you have a particulry tough situation.

What receiver are you presently using?

Are you trying for just the one station or are there other repeated stations and any local FM at all?

Have you tried receiving the station on your auto FM radio? they are usually pretty sensitive and allows you to drive around a little to see if there are any hot spots that would show noise free reception is possible.

If there is only the one station you have avalible you might find it more cost effective to try out the new XM type secripition service. Hundreds of stations for around $200 upfront and somewhere around $15 a month.

Anyway if do go the FM route then the most important factor will be the antenna. The best will add signal without adding noise. He is the current king of the hill.

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mreviews.html#aps14

This mounted as high as possible with good quality coax cable has the best chance of success. If further sensitivity is needed then next add a mast mounted quality preamp. Again the most cost effective receiver would be a new auto type CD/FM receiver. Blaupunkt has several rated at 7.8 dbf starting around $270.

So while there are many fine sensitive vintage Hi-fi tuners and receivers ( I own several) one really needs to start at the antenna if there is any chance of success in your situation IMHO.

Lefty

The Sansui is a good choice, but I would lean toward a Kenwood. They made their early reputation with their tuners and the tuner sections in their receivers.

Of course, I would, as always, recommend the Onkyo T-9 for both its ability to grab and hold a signal, and for the excellent sound reproduction it provides.

The site http://geocities.com/tunerinfo should be your first stop. It is fairly limited to tuners, so info about receivers will need to be found elsewhere. Hey, HERE is a good place!

I have several TOTL vintage receivers. The Kenwood KR-9600 and the Pioneer SX-5590 (1250) each provide a tuner section to rival many separate tuners. The Onkyo TX-7000 & TX-8500 MkII have exceptional tuner sections.
The mid to late 70s was rife with fine, very fine tuners. FM radio was very nearly as important a source as turntables.

I have and have had many tuners over the past 30 plus years. The Onkyo T-9 is as good a tuner as I have had the pleasure to hear.
Also, your antenna is of utmost importance. Your location really stinks for FM reception!

good luck, and mebbe some more info?

pete

Thank you for your help. I have now a Sylvania 110watts. that's all i know about it. I think it's from the 80" it has that look. The stations i get here, ware i live are talk shows, rap, and country. Yes i have one stations on my mind K-Earth 101 "OLDIES". I like music from the 50and 60, some early 70"s. I can get the station on my Syvania some times but it over- laps another stations or it fads in and out. Most of the time i can"t get it at all. I can't get it on my car radio"s. I didn't want to go tuner and preamp, i wanted to get them in one unit. But if the only way is tuner and preamp then that"s what it will be. If you have something for sale let me know. Also let me know which way you think i should go. One unit
(can it be done this way) or tuner and pre amp. I'm seriously thinking about a Harman Kardon 730 Twin Powered Receiver.
Thank You

Hi again Blinky;

Well if you want to first try a receiver I also can recommend the Kenwood KR-9600 receiver. It has a 5 gang tunign capacitor and is as or more sensitive then any other receiver I read about. There are several tuners that have only lightly better sensitivity but offer better bandwidth controls and other features.

The best thing is if you could buy something with a return policy in case your wanted station is just too weak. Then your only choice is to upgrade the antenna.

Lefty

Do you know where i can get a Kenwood 9600 or something similar? I hear a Kenwood 6050 is good for fine tuning and locking on to stations. Do you know where i can find one?
Thanks

Far from being expert about this I live in an area of hills and on a lot full of trees of up to 60' tall. Closely packed they are fighting for light and grow way up there. The stations that have antennas on a high point south of Dallas are no problem but even with a roof antenna I haven't been able to pull in a college jazz station that is about 35 miles NW of me. Along with all the trees I am on a southern slope that cuts the signal.
The one exception to this is an old Marantz 2226B. Not only was I able to pull the station in I did with one of those $3 dipoles which have to be the worst antenna going. To make sure it was no fluke I left it hooked up for several weeks and was able to dial it in every time I tried.
I am not trying to sell you on the Marantz 2226, but a Marantz 2252B couldn't do it and neither would my tubed Fisher reciever, Fisher 50-B or Dyna 3 tubed tuners.
I rarely listen to FM because I hate the commercials, but that Marantz is the only piece of gear I have owned that has pulled that station in during the 20 years I have lived in this part of Dallas.

Blinky

While I am sure the Kenwood 6050 is a fine unit it is no KR9600. Lefty recomended the Bigger kenwood for a reason. My guess is the 6050 has less gangs then the 9600 and would not do what you would like as well as the KR9600. Just out of curiosity have you tried any other recievers yet. I would bet most of the better vintage receivers would blow the doors off of your 1980's one. If you can beg or borrow one to try out and then make your descission that would be perfect.

grumpy

reply to Thatch- Grumpy- lefty.

Lefty- Thanks for the tip about the Kenwood 9600. I don't know wkere to find one. I use ebay, do you know a better place to buy on the internet? Thanks

Grumpy- yes i tryed an old Fisher and it was alot better with stations, but the left side speaker went out and i can't fix, i've tryed.

Thatch- Thank goodness. I thought i was the only person having
this problem. Not the people on this web sit, but other people keep pushing antennas at me. I have a very good one, i tell them.

Thatch- Do you know if the ( b ) after the numbers is importiant. I know where i can get a Marantz 2230 no b and a marantz 2270 no b. I had a person tell me to get a Marantz 2286b. Could you let me know if the "b" is importiant.

THANKS TO ALL AND PLEASE KEEP HELPING.

Hi again Blinky;

Yea, E-bay is by far your best source for vintage gear. There are other sites like audiogon.com but they have less vintage gear then e-bay. There is a retail vintage hi-fi place near me in Berkley, ca. that sells used stuff with warrentry and they list their avalible gear.

http://www.thesoundwell.com/prices.html

They presently have a very hot FM only tuner, a Technics ST-9030 for $160 which is a steal in my opinion. I would buy it today but I chose a Kenwood L-07T II tuner for my hi-end needs a few years ago.

Anyway a Kenwood KR-9600 would probably sell in the $150-300 range depending on condition and bidding interest. It a great top of the line receiver in it's on right, but it's special FM sensitivty is just iceing on the cake.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Lefty

reply-Lefty

Thanks for the tip on the web sit. I'll keep watch there. If you come across a Kenwood KR-9600 let me please know. What amp would you get to go with the Technics ST-9030?
Thanks

Blink;

There are a zillion vintage amps to choice from. One really should choice amps by starting with the speakers you want/like/or have. Speakers are the hardest thing to settle on. After that it should be pretty simple to find a integrated amp (means it's a preamp/amp in one box) that will drive it properly and have the features you want.

A receiver makes sense if you have a space problem but there is no real price different with careful vintage shopping. You can learn a lot by just reading E-bay adds both present and completed listings. Ask questions (you seem to have that part down :D ) and take your time.

A lot of us like the 1974-1980 period as the best in terms of quality and quanity of gear avalible. Kenwood, Marantz, Sansui, Pioneer, Yamaha and several others were making great gear at the time and represent a great value at todays prices. They all made many models but their top of line models are always the best investment in my opinion.

Here is a great site that have tons of info on Marantz/Pioneer/technics vintage gear.

http://www.classic-audio.com/

Lefty

Any one of many integrateds would go with the 9030. That is one of the truly exceptional DXing tuners.
That IS a steal at the price!

pete

Help - Lefty - Bully - anybody

Bully, - Lefty, - anybody - help.
You guys told me about the Kenwood 9600 and the Pioneer SX 1250. What do you think about the Pioneer SX 1050 and 1280?
As far as gang and sensitivity, is it up there with the Kenwood 9600 and the Pioneer SX 1250?
Thank You

The 1050 & the 1280 are very nearly the same as the TOTL models. Tuner specs are almost the same. The biggest difference is with amp output. By 1976, the #2 models were incredible values, and it is still hard to look at either a 1050 or the 1280 and not be impressed. The top Pioneers do possess excellent DX capabilities, and a nice sound, too. They are also very strong receivers where the volts hit the speakers.
The 1050, especially, is often got at a good price thru eBay.
The ability of the bigger Kenwoods, though, is tuff to beat for grabbing distant signals.
Many choices, but I would look at the TOTL or #2 models of Kenwood, Pioneer & Onkyo, and then the Sansui, Marantz & Yamaha.

Pete

reply to bully

Thank you for your fast reply Bully,
This is what means the most to me. The ability to grab long distant fm signals and to hold on to them. I don't care that much
about a lot of power to the speakers. Like i said before i live in the desert. I'm going to buy a stereo this week. This is what i have lined up, Kenwood 6050, 9400-vg+, 9600. Also Pioneer 1050, 1250, 1280. I want to stay with Kenwood and Pioneer to
keep it sample for me. You favor the Kenwood for grabbing long
distant signals right? Which of the three Kenwoods do you favor
the most #1 and second #2, i case i miss the first one. Like i said
i'm go to choose and buy this week, but i need help choosing.
I would never hold anything against anyone if things don't work out. After all i'm the one who is asking for help. You help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Back
Top Bottom