FM transmitters, anyone?

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
I hope this fits the tuners forum ... I have a Ramsey FM25B FM transmitter connected to my main system, thus providing the cheapskate's "whole house audio" - tuned in at various times from the bedroom, home office, garage, family room. Anyone else use a similar setup?

Yep ... me too Rich ... added the Ramsey transmitter companion & some EQ & Compression for processing ... I use my PC with a sb live card, Winamp with some software compressionby Octiv called octimax, sounds pretty dang good ! Was running a watt using a Ramsey FM1BA1C, to my TM100 antenna for a while :naughty: but have since went back to the legal output. :yes:

I rip all of my MP3's using a variable bit rate giving them pretty good fidelity. Miminum of 128 to a maximum of 256 using a Lame encoder and Cdex. All of my stuff is from my library of Cd's and Vinyl that I convert ... got just over 40,000 mp3's ... :D

Twas thinking about building the FM35 but we'll see .... I was looking for a standalone dolby module so I could encode and transmitt in Dolby with my Fm25b, as my Heath has the dolby module in it ... but it would take modifying the transmitter to transmit with 25us de-emphasis to do it correctly. So with all of the other projects that I have going on right at the moment :scratch2: ... I decided to give it a rest.

I post a pix of the setup when I get home tonight.............

Steve

cool idea!... and some questions..

What kind of cost is involved in setting up a broadcasting rig like this?

I presume because of the short range, no special antennas are required.. correct?

As for sound quality.... how well does the transmitter preserve the fidelity of the original source material? I realize that the quality of the receiver is an omportant factor, but I am curious how much audio quality is lost at the transmitter??

hpsenicka said:

I presume because of the short range, no special antennas are required.. correct?

As for sound quality.... how well does the transmitter preserve the fidelity of the original source material? I realize that the quality of the receiver is an omportant factor, but I am curious how much audio quality is lost at the transmitter??

Here's what I bought, hp: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14980&item=5787564176

You can also buy it as a kit direct from www.ramseyelectronics.com for $140

No special antenna is required, and the sound quality is generally excellent (occasionally I get interference that I think is from a neighbor's ham radio, but that is rare). Setting the input level to maximize signal to noise while avoiding overload is critical, but once you do that it sounds great - better than the best sounding FM station I can get.

Well Rich is right ... the little transmitters do sound dang good .. but its like any other hobby .... the more money or stuff you throw at it or put in the signal chain, the better it will sound .... For the most part I convert my cd's to and some records to mp3's ... some people use ogg vorbis .. still others use .shn for compression ... that is mostly up to your ears or your preference. You can also just go direct from a cd player.

The reason I do this is, I Can have a bigger data base of music than say a 5 or even a 100 disc changer, on my computer.

Fm is somewhat finicky about its inputs as the multiplex or pilot signal is dang near in the audio range so just as most commercial stations do you will have to roll off the high end a bit so as to not interfere with the 19khz signal generated internally by the transmitter. This will cause splatter or s'es to be distorted.

That being said ... it is all what you do with it . Some guys go all out and try to be the neighborhood radio station ... which can be fun .. Me I just want it running for my own satisfaction.

But as far as money goes ... I built mine from Ramsey .. back then it was $120.00 then I added their transmitter companion and a 1 watt amp ... when it was all said and done I have 250 to 350 dollars into it for just transmitting . Then I added a 15 band eq ... and a couple of mono over easy DBX compressors that I had hanging around ... the result is that I sound everybit as good as the big local station ... and on some things better. However this is not a $10,000. Gentner fm exciter ... but for the money you pay it is dang good.

As far as an antenna goes ... a standard Fm T dipole will work ... I run 50 ohm cable to a j pole that I got from Ramsey ... called the TM100 ..I mount it on my roof. It will increase your range .. The kit comes with a telescoping antenna , but your range will be reduced and you have to be careful about getting humm from rf getting back into the wall wart that Ramsey will give you for a pwr supply.

It is a fun hobby ! Makes owning a tuner worth while ... :D :D

Steve

Steve, thanks for all the detail on your setup - much more elaborate than mine! I just run the tape outs of my preamp to the transmitter. I'll have to try an equalizer to see if I can improve things even more! I also see that Ramsey has a newer model, the FM30B; wonder how that one is?

Rich ,

Glad to be of assistance ..... :D :D happy to impart some of my wisdom ...... Your the first one that I have talked to that is doing what I am .... I only listen to NPR as most of the local radio stations around here suck ! The reason I actually started this was to have tunes for a bike ride so I originally built the ramsey fm10 ... and ran it off of a battery pack with a cd player so other riders could dial in with walkmans :nutz: .... then I decided to build the FM25 ... and got into running a station at the house so I could listen to what I wanted any where in my house or out in the yard ... I used to work as a studio engineer for What was WJFM in Grand Rapids Michigan for The Fetzer broadcast group ... hence my interest. But I digress ..... :smoke:

If you have a spare, Put a eq in between the preamp or record outs of your system (Mine is a cheap ole Numark) and the Transmitter. Roll the high end from say 12k on up down .... This will do a couple of things .. it will eliminate any splatter that you have if you have any.. Some guys turn the inputs down to combat the distortion. So then it will allow you to crank up the inputs on the transmitter giving you a stronger or louder signal ... It will also help you with deviation .. or signal spread ... that effect of having your signal show up on other portions of the fm band .. You may need some fine tuning of the eq to achieve a really good sound .... Then down the road if you can find a nice compressor ... and add it to the mix .. it will basically level out your inputs so your program material is mostly the same level and again increasing your input volume. Helps with the dynamics if you are using straight cd's especially . ... :thmbsp:

Steve

Here are the pictures:

Last edited:
WOW guys thanks The various kits look REAL interesting. In fact one of these kits would solve two problems the first is of course how to distribute a signal from one of my computers the other is that I have been wanting to build some kit of kit as a way to learn more about the actutal electronics. I think I'll put on of these on my shopping list for the summer as a project for next winter. I always though Silverton should have a radio station LOL. Hell we got the wirdest little cable access channel so why not Mark W's radio station LOL.

I converted all my CD's (300+) to mp3's and store them on a 20 gig harddrive. I'm using a Delta 44 as a sound card which plugs into my Ramsey FM-30 transmitter. The computer was a castoff so total cost was $100 for the Delta card on eBay, and $180 for the Ramsey XMTR. No special antenna needed as the Ramsey kit comes with a telescoping antenna, and the distances are short enough that the receivers don't need an antenna.

I use Quintessential CD (QCD is freeware) as my jukebox software and constructed a playlist of all 6500+ cuts that play random and repeat the entire playlist. The computer plays 24x7 and broadcasts all the time. I figure that it takes about 16~17 days to hear the same song again.

All in all, I'm delighted with "Radio Rick". I hear my music with no commercial interruptions or silly DJ's. And because the XMTR does not compress the music, I hear it as if it were coming right off the CD. BTW, this setup feeds 7 receivers scattered around the house and in the shops.

This is so cool I think I need my own radio station. This idea is going on my to do list for next winter.
I got computer power and storage up the wasu My photo computer has 240 Gigs of SATA drives and 4 Gigs of Ram. not to mention the 2.8 gig HT pent IV. And the case (I build the computer) is big enough to put a whole second computer inside I think!

Yea a nice 100 watt FM stereo radio station. Now to go write the script for the talk show LOL

Old thread....Bump.

I have no affiliation with Ramsey other than purchasing a new kit to replace my old one. But I can tell you that the FM25B is on closeout at the big auction site, and as of this typing...20 remain. Git 'em while you can. Direct from Ramsey. $99 each.

Love these things. No wifi, no bluetooth, no App, no proprietary BS...just FM! Any FM radio is in play, controlling the volume in any room...An aid in domestic tranquility!!!

And thanks to the info up top, I can utilize some rack gear, putting compressors and EQs to work...using gear I have sitting around. That will also aid in furthering tranquility on the home front

Back
Top Bottom