Foam / carpet squares?

BruenoB

So I am closing on a house next week and will finally have a listening space.

The house was built in 1955 and the basement has stone / concrete walls. The flooring is currently that old crappy asbestos tile.

I was wondering if anyone has used foam or carpet squares as flooring? Would it be acoustically horrible? I like the idea of the foam tiles as they could be cut so I could cover the entire area but will it support my speakers evenly??

I really dont have time prior to moving in to tear up that current tile so kind of wanted something other than a rug to toss down and cover up that horrid tile.

Thoughts?

I wasn't aware they made flooring tiles out of asbestos :crazy:
You have only three options if you are to safeguard yourself and anyone else entering your premises as you have a duty of care
1: Leave them as is , seal them and cover over the top which is not ideal as it changes floor levels which may affect door openings etc
OR
2: as Imral3 said have them professionally removed.
OR
3: make it a part of the deal that they be removed before you settle the deal

3: make it a part of the deal that they be removed before you settle the deal
This is really the only option. Have they disclosed in the purchase agreement that they are asbestos? Have you had a home inspection? I don't know where you live but I don't think you could sell a house where I live with known asbestos :dunno:

Asbestos is everywhere, you just don't know it. It's only an issue if it's disturbed. BTW, Brueno I think carpet squares are cheap, easily changeable, and are a good choice. I have tile in my listening room, only issue I've ran into was my sub (took a square of yoga mat under it and it dampened right up).

Renegotiating terms a week before closing may not be possible. Especially if the tile was disclosed and you accepted it. In court a judge may see your side in it or may not. Your realtor is where you need to get your advice on this. He may refer you to get a lawyer. If you were in any way misled you have cause but it again needs a lawyer.
As for the carpet squares they are great especially in lower levels in case of water intrusion. House inspectors should have noted the tiles. Houses with these floor tiles sell every day. They are a problem. Like some siding.

So I am closing on a house next week and will finally have a listening space.

The house was built in 1955 and the basement has stone / concrete walls. The flooring is currently that old crappy asbestos tile.

I was wondering if anyone has used foam or carpet squares as flooring? Would it be acoustically horrible? I like the idea of the foam tiles as they could be cut so I could cover the entire area but will it support my speakers evenly??

I really dont have time prior to moving in to tear up that current tile so kind of wanted something other than a rug to toss down and cover up that horrid tile.

Thoughts?
Have the tile abated properly

Leave them and seal them. Standard practice as the stuff can't hurt you as long as it's not airborne. It's the loose fibers that can get into your lungs and cause problems. Maybe one of the new epoxy coatings used on garage floors, followed up with an area rug or rugs for the traffic areas?

Sorry for not following this better.

I close tomorrow so its my problem now.

They did not disclose asbestos but may have not known or the tiles may not be asbestos. You cant just look and know even though they may look like them.

The inspector did not mention them in his inspection.

I believe skizo has the plan. The current tiles seem to be in very good condition so I think Im going to seal them up and put down something on top.

So new plan. I found out that removal and disposal of the tiles anf mastic glue isnt as expensive as I was fearing!

Decided for peace of mind since its not as expensive to have them removed and disposed of.

Should run $2.25 - $3.00 per sq. ft.

Then to decide what to do in its place. Carpet is probably accoustically best but also expensive and with the money spent on removal of the tiling Ill probably just do the foam floor tiles while I save up for carpeting.

Welcome to the "joys" of home ownership I guess. Lol.

Can easily lay down laminate or vinyl plank directly on top of VAT (vinyl asbestos tile)

Then just put some area rugs on the new floor. The old VAT isn't going to hurt anyone when it's sealed under a new floor.

Whatever you do, don't sand it, drill it, or otherwise pulverize into dust and inhale it. If it stays intact, it's perfectly fine.

If it's in bad shape anywhere, just fill the gaps with cement based floor leveling compound before putting the new floor on top.

I bet if you look in your kitchen and bathrooms, and maybe halls there will be about four or five layers of flooring with VAT on the bottom... it's just how things were done way back when, it's one of the things you get when you buy an old house.

Last edited:
IF there was asbestos tile in the rest of the house its been removed long ago. Kitchen, dining and bathrooms are all ceramic tile. Everywhere else is hardwoods.

Ive seen previous sale pics and it didnt have asbestos tile then either.

Other areas of the basement do not have it either so it must have been removed previously as well.

IF there was asbestos tile in the rest of the house its been removed long ago. Kitchen, dining and bathrooms are all ceramic tile. Everywhere else is hardwoods.

Ive seen previous sale pics and it didnt have asbestos tile then either.

Other areas of the basement do not have it either so it must have been removed previously as well.

Under ceramic tile will be plywood, which may or may not be screwed down over the old asbestos tile. You can easily check if there's forced air heating, just pull a floor vent and count the layers. It really doesn't matter which way it was done, it's more just a thing to know in case you need to drill holes in the floor.

If it's an expensive house, it could have been ceramic tile all along.

I hope you enjoy your new house - mine was built in 62, I know I sure have no interest in a new construction house.

Under ceramic tile will be plywood, which may or may not be screwed down over the old asbestos tile. You can easily check if there's forced air heating, just count the layers. It really doesn't matter which way it was done, it's more just a thing to know in case you need to drill holes in the floor.

If it's an expensive house, it could have been ceramic tile all along.

I hope you enjoy your new house - mine was built in 62, I know I sure have no interest in a new construction house.

Ive looked where cable etc. Has been run through and also where heating vents are and I cannot see signs of tile under the wood. /shrug.

Sorry for not following this better.

I close tomorrow so its my problem now.

They did not disclose asbestos but may have not known or the tiles may not be asbestos. You cant just look and know even though they may look like them.

The inspector did not mention them in his inspection.

I believe skizo has the plan. The current tiles seem to be in very good condition so I think Im going to seal them up and put down something on top.

Keep in mind that all realtors and inspectors carry error and emissions insurance for this very reason. Things get missed. Have a flooring company look them over as you get estimates for new flooring. Just see where it goes. Read your contracts carefully to see where you stand as far as disclosures, environmental hazards, inspection warranty's. Finding them as asbestos now is necessary. Not later when you decide to sell.
A good flooring company should be your first call. It's free.

Last edited:
Basements can flood. Sewers can backup. Know the history of the house and area. I rebuilt mine after that. Carpet out. Engineering to reduce future risk. Vinyl laminate in with area rug before speakers..
Enjoy your new house.

Back
Top Bottom