Foam in a can used as vibration control??

Robh3606

Have any of you used that foam in a can from Home Depot to help dampen cabinet resonances?? I have a sub-enclosure on top of my main bass cabinet that is more lively than I would like. It is made of 3/4 mdf box around an 8" concrete tube for the mid. I want to shot some into the air caps between the tube and the walls.

Thanks Rob2
:)

I was thinking of using that for my keg speakers but it got the thumbs down from everyone.

Well I will let you know what happens.

High Thor

I gave it a try. I am not sure how you wanted to use it. I am using it to fill 4 voids around the concrete tube and to help deaden the panels. The suff Gonefishin posted about looks good to use on the walls of the keg if you have too.

High Gonefishin

Thanks for the sugestion on the spray coat. I would be spraying into closed cavities about 10" deep and 2" at the widest and figured it would be a real mess coming back at me. Thats why I wanted to try the expanding foam. Nice long nozel with no back spray in the face. :puke:

Rob2:)

There are now more than just the one that gets hard. DAP has one out that makes a soft foam called DAP Tex. It might reflect less but also might not hold up as well as the hardening polystyrene.

Worked for me

Well it noticably reduced the vibration on the top and sides of the enclosure. I think it worked because it was between the two and coupled the sub-enclosure and tube to the main box. Now the main box and sub-enclosure vibrations are the same. Now for the tweeter and mid enclosure. Can't foam that one, have to brace it. I didn't think I would need any bracing as it is a small box. Amazing how much energy gets coupled to/through the box. Any loose ends and forget it they just start moving.

Rob2:)

Back
Top Bottom