Focal 807v's rethinking my amps again

SpicySammich

So I'm currently trying to adapt to a Yammy 501. The sound, to be honest isn't grabbing me. The low end has disappeared unless I get a sub. I do not really want a sub.

I can send it back but in the meantime, I have been pondering:

Marantz pm6005 (ugly but gets very good reviews). It has tone controls that seem to control the same frequencies as my old Sansui.

NAD 356 (also ugly) noted for a
Darker sound but has no phono stage or DAC.

Rega Brio R 2017 all reviews have been excellent. Very good phono stage but no tone controls (Yammy has them and they are almost worthless). No DAC.

Use case: vinyl, a DAC would be nice as it will be playing tunes from my AppleTV and the tv itself.

I spin punk, goth, reggae, rock, 80's & 90's alt, a little hip hop, a little jazz and some metal. Some
Of this music is bass heavy and I want the amp to be able to handle it. The Speakers certainly can.

I have no way to audition unless I buy (I can return inside 60 days).

I am looking to add a Lounge LCR MkIII in the coming months but most likely wouldn't be able to pull it out right away so a phono stage is kind of an necessity.

Interesting choices. Do you mean a NAD 356bee? Because they do come with phono and DAC (upgrade). I think the Marantz and NAD would be good. The particular model of Focals you have, have a very nice extended high end that can be too hard (for me at least) unless sweetened a bit. I love the Rega, but for your speakers I'd try Marantz and NAD and see how it goes. Yamaha is already neutral (and thin to my ears) and probably not the best match for the focals. Are you open to something else? I think more power and damping would open your low end. I'm sure others would chime in more if they knew your budget (unless your choices are the ones listed).

Thoughts on the Onkyo 9010? I've read the phono stage isn't very good but reviews seem positive overall. I can't seem to get a description of what the Onkyo sound is though.

From the reviews I read I would look at the NAD C338 or C368. Phono stage and DAC included. The Rotel A12 or A14 would also be good options.

I have the 807Ws. On my SS amp/tube pre system they seem too high strung and a little harsh. On my Sonic Frontiers amp and McCormack Pre they sound great. Maybe think about a tube integrated amp such as the Jolida FX10 Integrated Stereo Tube Amplifier.

I have the 807Ws. On my SS amp/tube pre system they seem too high strung and a little harsh. On my Sonic Frontiers amp and McCormack Pre they sound great. Maybe think about a tube integrated amp such as the Jolida FX10 Integrated Stereo Tube Amplifier.
Thanks. You know, I've been so curious about that Jolida amp. The wattage has kind of scared me away but I'm leery about amps without tone controls (or a loudness button at the very least) as it's a yes or no proposition as to compatibility. With the Yammy, I found figured I'd be able to get a sound I liked from it in spite of its lean bass but I've not been able to do that.

Anyone have thoughts on the Music Hall 15.3?

There aren't many reviews but all remark that sounds warm. Just curious.

Anyone have thoughts on the Music Hall 15.3?

There aren't many reviews but all remark that sounds warm. Just curious.
Music Hall is not what I would call warm. Probably more in line with the Yamaha. Have you read any of the reviews on the NAD C368. I have owned a few NAD amps and it may do the trick for you with it's fuller sound. The description in the reviews seems to be in line with the sound you want. It also has a ton of other features that could be very useful including full bass management.

I have been on the fence and may pull the trigger myself and sell my Cambridge. The bass management would be a real nice feature for me.

Music Hall is not what I would call warm. Probably more in line with the Yamaha. Have you read any of the reviews on the NAD C368. I have owned a few NAD amps and it may do the trick for you with it's fuller sound. The description in the reviews seems to be in line with the sound you want. It also has a ton of other features that could be very useful including full bass management.

I have been on the fence and may pull the trigger myself and sell my Cambridge. The bass management would be a real nice feature for me.

I have been researching the 368 since you mentioned it. It and the PM6005 are on the short list. I was looking at the CXA60 (based on your thread about it some time back).

I have the Focal 806v's and they are quite good driven by my Krell S-300i integrated amp. Yes there is bass and detail. You may find one at discount or on the used market. The Krell certainly grabs and controls the drivers. No phono preamp but many good budget models available.

I'm pretty sure that there are still a few brick and mortar audio stores in the greater Phoenix area,why not visit them?

So I think I narrowed it down to 2 amps. I have a somewhat reduced budget now due to life circumstances so I feel like either of these will suit me.

Onkyo-9010

Marantz PM6005

Re: NAD. I know there's lots of NAD love here so I wanted to ask this question. I had an Audio Dynamics CA-2000e a million years ago. Though it looks like a NAD, I don't know if it has NAD guts. From everything I read on the NAD sound vs what I remember from that amp, it seems like they would be similar. Anyone have any experience with that?

So I think I narrowed it down to 2 amps. I have a somewhat reduced budget now due to life circumstances so I feel like either of these will suit me.

Onkyo-9010

Marantz PM6005

Re: NAD. I know there's lots of NAD love here so I wanted to ask this question. I had an Audio Dynamics CA-2000e a million years ago. Though it looks like a NAD, I don't know if it has NAD guts. From everything I read on the NAD sound vs what I remember from that amp, it seems like they would be similar. Anyone have any experience with that?
Since the Marantz has a loudness function as well as a bass control centered at 50hz it will probably be the best bet of the two. It is also built much better than the Onkyo.

If it matters, I went with the Marantz PM6005. I like it so far. Its definitely got a modern sound comparatively speaking.

So I wanted to wait and be more subjective. Perhaps a little more time with the Yammy would have been in order but live and learn. At any rate, I sent the Yam back and went with my 2nd choice which is the Marantz PM6005.

I like the Marantz sound and it appeals to me in that it has nice, impactful bass though not as supple and "round" as the Sansui. It does however reveal much more in the bass and its more controlled and sharp. The Yammy had really nice highs and mids and I was hoping the Marantz would have most of that and it definitely does. I'd say the Yam is neutral, but not clinical (to my ears) and that the Marantz is the same margin again warmer than the Yam. I played around more with room set up and found a better set up that seems to compliment things nicely.

The PM6005 isn't a Mac or ridiculous tube amp but I feel like for $500 (or $429 I actually paid) its an excellent amplifier.

If I had to list some cons, probably that the remote can be used to turn on Direct Mode (which I don't use) thus overriding whatever settings I have (Loudness on, treble at 10 o'clock, bass at 12 o'clock) but then clicking the button again turns off Direct Mode but doesn't put the Loudness back to on. Also, use the remote to turn off the amp (stand by) but then there's no stand by button on the face. Odd. And the Marantz is indeed ugly, though it presents better than the pictures I have seen.

So I feel like the sound I want to achieve took a step closer to reality. Next upgrade will be a better phono stage (not that the Marantz is bad, its serviceable and clean). Most likely a Lounge LCR MKIII or Tube Box S.

Outlaw Audio RR2150 sounds like a fit. From all reviews a versatile and capable receiver

I switched from my NAD 375BEE to a Brio-R as the NAD had a few reliability issues. While having less power and not as much punch, more sound flows out of the Brio R. The Brio 2017 (they dropped the R) should restore some of that punch while maintaining the beautiful mids and highs that the NAD likes to swallow. The Rega would be a fine choice.

I'm selling my Focal 807V's. Hope to get $600 for the pair, they're immaculate. I just couldn't take the extended crispy tweeters any longer. Replaced them with Sonus Faber Veneres, much tamer for my McIntosh setup.

Back
Top Bottom